Windows 8.1 Surface Pro 3 IE Desktop and Application Downloads

#1
Hi

I am using a Surface Pro 3 with Windows 8.1 - all drivers are up to date.

Network Adaptor is a Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller.

Recently I've experienced issues with Internet Connectivity.

Internet access has always worked from the IE tile, connectivity shows as working and I am able to sync with cloud. Apps such as News and Weather work.

However, IE Desktop started displaying a page cannot be displayed error (bing homepage), and I then noticed apps such as steam could not connect.

Additionally, in IE tile I have been unable to download any files (such as installing Office 365 or another anti virus app from their respective webpages for example).

Steps taken to date:

Run full scan of windows defender - no issues

Disk defrag

Disk cleanup - removed temp files

Checked Firewall settings - all ok

dump in cmd of temp files as administrator

Re-installed Network Adaptor Drivers

Run Windows diagnostics of performance issues with Internet (none detected, stated I am connected)

Finally, after researching solutions I went on the desktop browser and enabled enhanced protection mode in advanced settings - this restored the ability to surf the web in IE Desktop (google, facebook etc tested), however strangely bing address comes up as page undisplayed (this page works in the tile browser).

Additionally I am still unable to download and install anything from the internet (retested with Office 365 download and Avast download). Applications such as Steam which are not reliant on IE also still cannot access the Internet.

Worth also noting that I have an Xbox One hooked up to my wireless with no performance issues so am confident the issue is isolated to the Surface Pro.

In a nutshell my issue remains as follows - I cannot download and install applications from the Internet, and still have a suspected wider connectivity issue present (evidenced through issues with bing homepage).

Appreciate any help! Thanks in advance.
 


#2
This issue can be resolved by performing a refresh through settings. After several other attempts to correct the root and seeking advice from Microsoft directly, there was no other alternative....
 


Trouble

Noob Whisperer
#3
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Glad to hear that you were able to resolve you issue and thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
 


Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
#4
It's possible you may of had some BHO that was hijacking your browser. Perhaps enabling proxy settings, many of applications rely on the settings of Internet Explorer. This is just a theory at this point. Resetting IE would disable any add-ons.
 


This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.