Windows 8 windows 8.1 upgrade

John55

Hi
i have a laptop hp with windows 8 64 bit. i am trying to upgrade to windows 8.1 64 bit i have used space 46.7gb free space 859gb capacity 905 gb momory ram 800 gb when trying to upgrade to windows 8.1 get windows 8.1 couldn't be installed. i have all the microsoft windows updates i can not find any of the hidden updates if there is any. can anyone please tell me how to install this? i just got this hp laptop 4days ago so i do not have antivirus install yet. thank you

The free 8.1 upgrade comes from the Windows store and has to be downloaded from there.
Screenshot (67).png

To download it you need a Microsoft account (basicly just an email) and you also need to have a good internet/ network which is where most people run into issues if they try doing this over a wifi instead of cable.

Hi Ussnorway I have finally go it to download and install when I restarted it I get this for like two hours do it take that long ?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436576203.350430.jpg
Thank you

Thats not an error, just let it run mate... older systems can take a while and the upgrade is huge.

p.s. Once it does install you need to go get at least the 8.1.1 patch from the normal Microsoft updates to make it stable.

Hi Ussnorway its 2:25am and it's still at the same screen. Just do not now what could be going wrong. Thank you

At a guess its doing a scan of the hdd but let it go and if the system hasn't crashed or given any new changes by overnight then post back.

Hi Neemobeer I finally got to my desktop when I was going back to desktop it said reinstall on the previous version of windows. I just do not now way I am having so much problems trying to upgrade to windows 8.1. My processor amd a6-4400m apu with Radeon (Tm) Hd graph Bios configure 06/06/2014 memory ram 8.00gb used space 46.7gb free space 859gb capacity 909 gb hp Pavilion g6 notebook pc .

So clear some things up please:
  • It did eventually boot to desktop but then un-installed the upgrade… giving you no error message that you noticed?
  • Your system does NOT have an anti-virus program installed on it?
  • You tried booting into safe mode and running the upgrade from there but it still fails?
Screenshot (76).png

If (and only if) the answer to all three is yes then I would back up any files you need and try a system factory restore… this removes EVERYTHING and takes you back to day one i.e. a fresh (blank) copy of Windows 8.

Hi Ussnorway I shut it down by the power on the laptop. Waited about three hours then turned it back on. Within a few minutes it told me reinstalling the previous version of Windows 8. I am still getting used to windows 8. From what I read windows 8 is nothing like the previous versions of windows. I am still having a hard time finding things on I do not see any Icon in the systray of anti-virus software of a fire wall icon in the systray. I am just assuming I don't have one and it's not on. If I do I wouldn't now where to look for it . Sorry

Ok the timeline for Windows versions is;
Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10

Note that 8.1 is a new system and not just a patch for 8… yes that is retarded but Microsoft doesn't like the number 9 for some reason.
If you have Windows 8 then keep reading but if you only have Windows 7 stop here.

You have something stopping the upgrade and I suspect that is an anti-virus software of some kind so the recommended next step is to try up grading from within Safe Mode… a boot with just the basic Windows functions and nothing else:
1. Plug your system into a cable network because most systems don't have wifi during safe mode.
2. Press [windows key] + [r] and type "msconfig" (without quotes) then press [enter]
windows key.jpg
Screenshot (78).png

3. This opens the system configuration panel… pick the boot tab, put a tick in the 'safe mode' check box' and then press 'apply' (don't skip this) then 'ok'
Screenshot (77).png

4. A box will pop up asking you to restart now… say yes
Screenshot (79).png

This will reboot your system into safe mode as the subtle screens indicate…
Screenshot (80).png

...at this point you don't have any 3rd party software and I want you to now try running the upgrade again.

Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 all share the same major code base. Software versions come in the form M.m.T.B M= Major version, m=minor version, t=maintenance (patches), b=Build numbers. Vista = 6.0, 7 = 6.1 8 = 6.2 and 8.1 = 6.3. The next version of Windows skipped 9 because a lot of legacy code will have a check such as if OS.version contains "Windows 9" for older Windows 95, 98. Windows 10 will also have a brand new major code base and will be NT version 10.0

Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 all share the same major code base. Software versions come in the form M.m.T.B M= Major version, m=minor version, t=maintenance (patches), b=Build numbers. Vista = 6.0, 7 = 6.1 8 = 6.2 and 8.1 = 6.3. The next version of Windows skipped 9 because a lot of legacy code will have a check such as if OS.version contains "Windows 9" for older Windows 95, 98. Windows 10 will also have a brand new major code base and will be NT version 10.0
I agree. This also shows the weakness, age, and rot of Windows NT and why they should publish an open operating system that can run applications from all three major companies (Microsoft, Apple, and Google). The rest is nonsense. Windows NT is old news, and they keep putting new blinds in those Windows, don't they? Why not make cross-platform compatibility a real, number one, priority, which I have recommended over and over again to them. I'll tell you why. Because they all know each other. There is collusion. And they don't care. Here is a good example. Congratulations for joining the Windows 10 ecosystem. Prepare to use Modern Apps and download everything from MS as a software distributor from their special "store", unless you know better. Tired of the shit.

Back