Windows 8 Windows 8 and Sleep

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Just for information. It appears Windows 8 does not seem to like sleeping and maintaining a Network Adapter.

Every time the system has been put to sleep, after awakening, the network adapter is disabled, and I cannot enable it without a reboot.

I am also not sure what a "Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter" might have to do with any problems, but I assume everyone has one.

And Robert Johnson, I will guarantee you this is a beta, and may be one of the worst ones I have ever seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this is interesting... my Win8 shuts the Display off @ the time I have set, goes to sleep @ the time I have set, wakes up very nicely & w/out any such problems as described in the OP. Further I have just written in another forum how impressive this Beta is right out of the gate... slick, quick, sophisticated & working very nicely, for me.

Regards,
Drew

Well, I suppose we all have different experiences. I have had a chkdsk error message, 2 failures to connect and unable to enable network adapters, and a blue screen due to windows update, and a Windows Update failure multiple times on a already installed update.

Glad you are having such a good experience.

Quite a good experience here also. But, I see reports coming in that it is slicker and faster than the developer. I have a specific, medium quality computer which I use primarily for testing new products. On this computer, most operations are noticeably slower - particularly on the internet.
But, to the OP. Disable the Microsoft Kernel debug.... I have not investigated yet its use, but I disabled it in the developer and in this later release. I had auto disconnect problems and this action (partly) solved them. Also, for you known network adapter. Open the properties - Power management tab, and make sure you have UNticked "Allow the computer to turn off..etc.

It is a little strange, when I shut the system down last night, the Kernel Debugger was there, but this morning, it was gone.

But even with it gone, I put the system to sleep for a few minutes and when it woke, I was faced with the Network Connection being disabled and I could not enable it. Along with that went a Windows Activation error message, so I wasn't sure what was happening.

So, to give the best chance of removing problems that might have been self inflicted, I reinstalled after re-downloading and reburning the .iso. Cleaned the drive with Diskpart and only had the one drive, no dual boot. I will let it run this way for a while to see if it helps. The Kernel Debugger is back with the new install, but I will leave it alone and make sure the power settings on the Network card are correct. It is strange that Windows 7 could not recognize my Network Adapter, but Windows 8 seems to have a driver for it, hopefully it is a good driver....

Also, on this UEFI system, Windows 8 adds 3 additional partitions where Windows 7 only added 2. Part of my problem might be related to the UEFI and the Intel Management Engine.

Depending on how this new install goes, I may have to revise my opinion of the Beta.

Thanks for the input.

Also, for you known network adapter. Open the properties - Power management tab, and make sure you have UNticked "Allow the computer to turn off..etc.
Yep, that is what is happening. After testing all day, disabling the Kernel Debugger or unchecking the "Allow the device to be turned off" repaired the problem. I suppose the Kernel Debugger is sort of like a Driver Verifier and causes a Blue Screen on shutdown after the network adapter lockout..? So I have left the Kernel Debugger enabled and unchecked the Adapter Power option and sleep seems to be back to normal.

Anyway, I tried finding better drivers but that did not seem to help. The Blue Screen message I was getting was:

Driver Power State Failure

Just in case someone else sees the same thing.

Thanks

I discovered one thing, by accident. I don't think the kernel, and deeper parts of Windows 8, have changed much from developer to consumer. I had a small problem with my graphics, on a graphic demanding site. As a last resort, I tried a "roll back" of the driver. As this was a virgin installation, what it rolled back to is beyond me, but it did, to another version of the driver - problem was solved. This led me to rolling back a few others, although I had no other problems. Several were able to roll back. Weird!

One of the things I have been trying to decide was what drivers to load on my system. I noticed some Windows is using are from 2010 and the manufacturer's are 2011.

So I started to install the drivers one at a time to see. I got my eSATA and SATA docking ports back. I think it helped the USB 3.0 ports but haven't tested yet.

One of the drivers that would not install was the Intel Management Engine, because of no .Net 3.5 loaded by default in Windows 8. Since I was thinking it was related to my network adapter problem, I went ahead and installed .Net 3.5 and then loaded the driver. I will be testing to see if the network adapter settings can be returned to default, but I do not think it will matter for that problem.

My graphics driver, for the onboard Intel graphics shows a WDDM 1.2, which I believe is the basic driver model. I had not yet installed the manufacturer's one but am waiting to see if Windows Update will install it.

I did learn something yesterday. Windows Update had loaded the Graphic and Intel Management Engine drivers successfully. But it was trying to install them again, which is what led me to a problem with the first install. I saw where if you "Check for Driver Updates" in the Windows Update dialog, it will recognize the earlier install and stop repeating the request.

Another update. I can now put my system to sleep with the network adapter set to its default power configuration (allow power down and even allow to wake computer).

I have to believe, but not completely certain, that loading .Net 3.5 allowed the Manufacturer's driver to load correctly for the adapter. I have no other explanation...

Back