Windows 8 Windows 8 boot issue

joethomas

I recently installed windows 8.1 from 7 and the installation process was smooth and seemed to work just fine. However, once I shutdown and booted up again I got a blank screen right after the windows logo appeared. I can change the volume and brightness at the blank screen but not anything else. I have tried loading safe mode and using shift + f8 but nothing happens. I have a dell studio 1558 and I installed windows 8.1 from a thumb drive if that makes any difference. Ive also tried booting from the usb which has the windows 8 installation but it said there was an issue. If someone could help me out I would appreciate it a lot.

It was an upgrade and yes I checked before that my system was a 64 bit. I also have a product key that I already entered when first installing windows 8.1. My system worked when I first migrated it but only when I rebooted did it get a blank screen. Was I supposed to have a clean hard drive before installing?

If you look at that link in my previous post, you should see the install path for each version of windows 8.1....from what OS to windows 8.1. In your case your going from windows 7 to 8.1 and that says you can upgrade only keeping your personal files or a clean install. A clean install is always best (format the hard drive, which wipes it clean of all data).

The key to a clean install is to backup and save all pertinent data before doing the clean install, otherwise all data will be erased.

This article/tutorial should shed some light on it for you.....running the upgrade adviser
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-from-windows-7-tutorial

There should not be any problem in booting of windows 8.1 or 8. Microsoft released 8 just because of boot speed was very much in previous windows. Windows 8.1 is better option for operating system.

Back