Windows 8 Windows 8 won't boot. blank screen on recovery mode

razorseal

Guys. I'm in need of help. I never had anything happen like this before...

I was updating Mech Warrior Online on the computer and I realized it locked up. I couldn't force close it, so I restarted the computer. I then realized windows was stuck on the boot image (the blue window with the thing spinning at the bottom) I restarted again and then it went into auto repair mode then went to a blank screen.

I inserted my Windows Recovery disk (USB stick) and attempted to boot into it. Blank screen again.

I just then inserted a windows 8 CD, and attempted to boot into that. I got the "Press any key to boot to CD" or whatever it says, and got a blank screen again...

The CD and USB stick both went into recovery mode on another computer.

I also tried a W7 CD on the computer, and that one loaded up. I'm ready to load up Windows 7 at this point and go from there (even though it's not the direction I want to take)

I just don't know what else to do.

i5 2500k
asus P8P67 Pro
Nvidia GTX 560ti
Kingston HyperX 8gb

Here' a video of what's happening...

Last edited:
I inserted my Windows Recovery disk (USB stick) and attempted to boot into it. Blank screen again.

I just then inserted a windows 8 CD, and attempted to boot into that. I got the "Press any key to boot to CD" or whatever it says, and got a blank screen again...

You can't boot a recovery usb/ cd because you removed the windows drive... it's not Ubuntu.

I couldn't force close it, so I restarted the computer. I then realized windows was stuck on the boot image (the blue window with the thing spinning at the bottom) I restarted again and then it went into auto repair mode then went to a blank screen.

Sounds like the 8.1 upgrade to me... how long have you had this windows 8 computer and is this the first time it has been on the internet for a while?

I still had 2 other hard drives. 1 SSD and 1 traditional. I know it's not ubuntu

I've had 8.1 for a while now. Computer has always had internet connection...

I ended up putting in just 1 SSD drive with no OS on it, and I'm still having the same problem. Even with a fresh hard drive, I'm still going into a blank screen from the boot CD or recovery USB.

After a long wait, I did get OS to boot up from the OS drive, but it took a while and it runs VERY slow. something is corrupted for sure. I just need to reinstall windows, but I can't get to a boot menu. Windows 7 boot wasn't loading up either from the CD. I just don't understand what can cause this

I tried taking out 1 memory stick at a time as well. No change

Help me guys.

it runs VERY slow. something is corrupted for sure.

Hardware
:
Did you try plugging the ssd into a different sata port i.e the white (intel) one or the dark blue one... they have different drivers and may have an issue with that drive... also try a different sata cable.
Software;
I'd remove the dvd/ extra hdd untill the board boots, also post the bios screen that shows the motherboard detects the ssd you want to install too because Microsoft install drivers are very basic.

does the board have 'safe boot' turned on?

Last edited:
Yep. I unplugged the hard drives, only leaving one SSD and tried all the SATA ports one by one. I'll try another cable right now.

I removed all the devices. The only thing plugged in right now is 1 SSD drive.

I'll take a screenshot and post it right now of the BIOS showing the SSD

I have a strong feeling the motherboard failed and it's something with the SATA ports.

I have a strong feeling the motherboard failed and it's something with the SATA ports.

You can test the sata ports by plugging your dvd drive into them (with the install dvd inside)... if you can then boot from disc, the sata port itself is working.

At this point, I'd remove all extra drives then put a normal blank sata hdd i.e. not ssd and see if the Windows 8 install disc (not the recovery usb) works.

Back