Windows 7 Windows Activation Technologies popup out of nowhere

metroid

Honorable Member
Have had same computer with Windows 7 Home Premium for many years. Never had a problem with Windows saying it isn't genuine. A few years ago I cloned the HD to a newer drive. No problems. About 2 months ago I cloned the HD to a larger drive and am now using that without problems as my new HD. Until now. I have no idea why but I now get a Windows Activation Technologies popup - I don't know if it's related to cloning the HD.

I also have turned off Windows updates and used GWX tool to turn off the windows 10 nagware. Again, may be related.

The unfortunate thing is, I don't have any of the original Windows info, key, sn, or any kind of disks to run off of that I know of (my pc came custom built from HP years ago and I don't know where any of that info is)

Just ran the MGA diag exe and generated a report (attached) but don't know how to interpret it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tool-report.txt

Attachments

• tool-report.txt
    6.8 KB · Views: 417
Hi,
you can use this application to see your product key:
KeyFinder | Magical Jelly Bean

I had a look at your posted report and it does look like your licence is still valid.

It also said you had some mismatched files. Try running the system file checker:
Look in the all apps section of the Start menu and find 'Command Prompt', right click on it, choose properties and then 'run as administrator'. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Hi,

I had a look at your posted report and it does look like your licence is still valid.

It also said you had some mismatched files. Try running the system file checker:
Look in the all apps section of the Start menu and find 'Command Prompt', right click on it, choose properties and then 'run as administrator'. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Thanks for your reply. I will run the sfc test as soon as I can (I hear it takes a long time so can't run it just yet)

I ran the sfc test. The log file is 8MB and I cannot attach it here (I can email it if needed/possible). The message in cmd prompt says it found corrupt files but could not repair. What do you think I should do? Thank you

Hi,
try running both of these scans and see if it helps:

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Thanks again for your assistance. I followed your instructions, but unfortunately received an error 87 about restorehealth not being a recognized option in this context (see attached img)

Am using windows 7 home premium - is restorehealth a valid command for my version?

any further ideas?

(sorry to drag this on)

Attachments

• restorehealth-issue.JPG
    restorehealth-issue.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 322
Thanks @Neemobeer

@kemical in addition to the issues noted in my previous post...

I happened to find a win 7 repair disk amidst a pile of age old computer stuff. Unfortunately it didn't do a bit of good since it can only fix startup file issues. Right about now I am wishing I'd followed through more consistently with a system backup protocol

Looks also like MS is not officially supporting win 7 so does that mean I am totally done for?

This is not looking good...hope there is some other thing I can try :(

If you have access to a Windows 7 install disc or another Windows 7 computer you can create a recovery disc. Once you boot to the recovery disc, select your account and enter the password.

You will get this screen, select command prompt
recover1.png

Enable the administrator account
recover2.png

Reboot and try logging in with administrator, there shouldn't be a password

You could also try safe mode with command prompt and type the same command to enable it the admin account.

Windows 7 is supported until 2020.
Thanks. That may be the case for them actually supporting the system, files...but beyond that, my understanding is that I cannot directly contact Microsoft to help me with this issue because "mainstream support" has ended
Oop's apologies excuse the absent mindedness.. It doesn't actually work for Windows 7.

- Do you have any other ideas for how to fix the corrupted files?
- Could any of this be caused by having my windows updates turned off?
- An ideas or leads of any kind would be appreciated. I am in a crappy situation right now :(

@Neemobeer Thanks for your help. I just reviewed your latest suggestions... forgive me but I am a little confused. I am not sure how they relate to my issue of the non-genuine windows error I am getting. Are you suggesting that I do a full system recovery? Sorry, just a bit lost here.

Thanks again

So is your system just saying it's not activated?

I am getting a false 'not genuine windows' popup - my Windows 7 Home Premium install is indeed genuine, and it's been working fine for many years.

When I run MGADiag it says I have corrupt files that could not be repaired. It must be related. I wonder if this is related to when I cloned my HD a couple months ago...

Attachments

• not-genuine-false.JPG
    not-genuine-false.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 327
You may need to just reactivate it. From a command prompt type slui 4 and follow the prompts. Also from a command prompt type slmgr /dlv and post a screenshot of the output

Back
Top Bottom