Windows 7 Windows Activation Technologies popup out of nowhere

You may need to just reactivate it. From a command prompt type slui 4 and follow the prompts. Also from a command prompt type slmgr /dlv and post a screenshot of the output

Windows says it's already activated, but I decided to try anyway. Followed your instructions, went with the phone prompts, used the smartphone app they linked me to, then after entering the info it said it was not a valid product (wth!) see screen shot.

Also attached the thing you asked for..

I don't know if it's possible for me to actually "call" microsoft and get some "support" but it's the only thing I can think of at this point.

Attachments

• slmgrdlv.JPG
    slmgrdlv.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 345
  • wth.PNG
    wth.PNG
    89.1 KB · Views: 463
Hi Just asking! Did you read any of the link I provided? Yes you could call MS and see if they would activate W10.
You might even get lucky and get someone you can understand and will actually activate W10.
Good luck!:clover::clover:

I don't want windows 10. At all. Ever. Although at some point i won't have any choice (unless i want to move to mac)

I also have turned off Windows updates
Hi,
try turning your updates back on but make sure you set them to 'automatically check for updates but to ask you whether to download and install them'. (unless MS have since removed this setting). At least this way you'll get chance to look over what's to be updated and if need be remove any offending updates.

That activation page doesn't appear to belong to Microsoft, it's possible it's adware/malware. Plus from the first screenshot your Windows is activated as far your OS is concerned.

OK, update on the situation:

• Last night I scheduled a phone call with the MS Help Desk (I couldn't believe you could do that)
  • Today they called at the scheduled time (I couldn't believe it)
  • The lady asked what the issue was
  • I explained everything briefly (and with some degree of anxiety)
  • She told me she would assist me with this issue and I would not be charged (yay)
  • I should mention at this point that she was speaking lines off of a script system (I found it rather odd, but I guess it makes sense given the complexity of what they have to deal with)
  • She told me to reactivate windows / re-enter product key (I had tried doing these things per recommendations in forum, but had issues)
  • Curious what she would have me do that might be different from what I had already tried, I asked her how to proceed
  • She checked my product key and told me it is valid
  • She had me type SLUI in start menu and then click slui.exe (again, I had already done this)
  • Very oddly, immediately after clicking slui.exe, I got a popup window that said 'Activation was successful'. I told her what I saw and she was confused. She asked if I'd entered the product key recently and I told her that, although my windows said it was already active, I had still tried to reactivate it anyway as a troubleshooting step, but it failed before. I don't understand what the heck happened this time, but I was happy that it seemed to have worked
  • I told her I wanted to restart the PC and wait to see if the 'non genuine' popup would reappear
  • We restarted, and the popup has not come back yet (YAY!!!)
  • She said, if I get the popup again, type slui and re-enter the product key
  • She said the issue could be caused by: 1. counterfeit windows / piracy victim, 2. Hardware change on the PC (that is, it thinks you are using the same windows key on more than 1 pc)...I asked if it could be caused by having cloned my HD, and she said it could possibly be from that (then she had to re-read her script to me again about how windows periodically checks in online and confirms that things are legit)
  • She kept going on about software piracy, even gave me a link to a page to read about it. I feel like the pirated software thing is the standard answer for a lot of issues, but maybe I'm wrong. I told her I didn't understand...if it is pirated software, why is my product key valid? Her script system didn't work out too well and she just sat there trying to figure out what to say. It got awkward so I said something to the effect of "ok, it's fine, as long as we're clear that my product key is valid and I can use my windows that I paid for, we are good"
  • She confirmed that it's valid and I should always be able to reactivate / re-enter the key in the case of the 'non-genuine' error, as long as the hardware hasn't changed significantly
  • Anyway, the issue seems to be corrected at the moment (knock on wood)
Thanks to all who replied, for your time and assistance, it is greatly appreciated! Cheers

Oh and btw, I am going to follow through more consistently now with complete system backups, as well as file backups, etc. This was a big scare and a good kick in the pants to get my act together on the backup front.

You may need to just reactivate it. From a command prompt type slui 4 and follow the prompts. Also from a command prompt type slmgr /dlv and post a screenshot of the output
I think this is what @Neemobeer posted! Nice work @Neemobeer:worship::worship:
I'm glad you got your issue solved and I'm real happy to hear you're going to be more consistently with system back ups!
Some times it takes a scare like this to wake us up!:up:

To clarify slui.exe is the Software License User Interface. Slui 3 will allow you to enter an existing or new product key. Slui 4 will bring up the over-the-phone activation wizard. Glad it's resolved though.

I just scheduled another call with microsoft for tomorrow. Hope it works out better than today

That activation page doesn't appear to belong to Microsoft, it's possible it's adware/malware. Plus from the first screenshot your Windows is activated as far your OS is concerned.
Hi metroid! Have you thought about this suggestion by @Neemobeer (adware/malware)
You might run some malware scans
Malwarebytes free
Adwcleaner
Eset On line scanner
JRT

@holdum333 @Neemobeer Thanks, that is a good idea. I will try running one of those malware scans (malwarebytes sounds familiar i think i ran that like 10 years ago lol, and if I recall, it helped me remove a virus or something)

Also just for fun i wanted to see what happened if I did SLUI 3 and put in my product key yet again. I did it and it said windows activation was successful (which verifies that windows is genuine), so we will see if it pops up again

FYI in regard to the (failed) activation screen that I posted earlier, it probably isn't recognizable because it was a smartphone app. I called the phone activation number from the slui popup, and the phone prompt recording offered a smartphone method, which i said OK to and it sent me a link via text to my iphone. (sounds sketchy but i'm pretty sure it was legit). Anyway I don't know why it failed, maybe I typed the key in wrong. Just wanted to clarify why the screen might not look like the typical windows activation interface.

also just want to say that I REALLY APPRECIATE the help from all three of you fine people. I think it's awesome that there are cool folks out there that spend their precious time helping strangers out. I salute you all! :applaud:

More updates on situation:

Ran Malwarebytes last night, no threats / issues were found. (Later I will probably run a couple other services / scans, for good measure)

Just got off the second phone call from Microsoft support. The difference between today's support rep and yesterday's was night and day. The guy today seriously knew what he was talking about and doing. Waaaaay better experience today. (the lady yesterday seemed less-competent)

That said, after over an hour on the phone and with access to my pc remotely, he was not able to solve some issues. Therefore he has scheduled me for a follow up phone call with a higher level technician (!)... should be interesting to see what happens

A few issues we looked at today were:

- Windows update cannot run. He said the 'not genuine windows' popup may be a bug, and some updates may fix it, but windows update wouldn't work.

- I told him that I have disabled the 'get windows 10' notifications and OS upgrades (win 10) etc using the GWX control panel app (thinking it may be related) and also that I also manually set windows to not install any updates. We opened up the GWX app and looked at it, and tried clearing the windows update cache, but still no luck. (btw I just checked the GWX control panel official site and it confirms that the app does not actually interfere with or break windows update ..it makes changes that are safe and reversible. So anyway I don't think that is really the root of the issue, but I could be wrong.)

- He did a ton of other tricks and techniques to try to fix the windows update problem, but couldn't succeed.

- security system / center in windows will not 'communicate' or 'integrate' with Kaspersky (not sure why he was looking at it, but hey, I'm not complaining)

- Windows says it is activated and all is well, but the other issues persist (inability to run windows update, and the popup saying windows isn't genuine)

I must say I was somewhat impressed today with the support service I received (aside from not getting the problem fixed). The guy was very polite and patient also. Guess we shall see if the 'higher level tech rep' will be able to solve this one.

Thank you for the detailed update Metroid and I hope the higher level tech will find the issue. If you get no joy please post back and best of luck!

I'm back. I will try to summarize the best I can:

- Level 2 Microsoft tech tried a bunch of stuff and then told me the only way to fix it is to reinstall windows.
- They said we could do the install with the option to leave files and applications in place.
- I had recently done a system backup and synced some critical files, so I decided to go for it
- Tech downloaded Windows 7 Home Premium and a new product key to my PC and attempted to proceed....
- After tech tried to do reinstall 'as upgrade' (leaves files and apps in place) windows gave error that it didn't have enough free space on a partition
- The partition was a small 'system' partition that was like 100MB. I don't remember that being there before, but who knows. Anyway the partition appeared to have no files in it despite it saying that is had space used. It was weird. But windows install wanted more space on it so the tech tried to shrink one of the other partitions and then expand the small one. It wouldn't let her do it.
- The tech then told me that the only way to fix it was to wipe the HD and do a clean install. I told them I want to do some more intense backing up of files and stuff before we proceed with that
- I then took my Acronis bootable media disc and ran disk director. I was able to shrink and expand the partitions as needed, to free up the space that windows installer wanted
- Then I tried doing the install with 'upgrade' option checked. Things were looking really promising and it was doing its thing, and then...
- ERROR: "Windows setup could not configure to run on this computer's hardware" ME: Sad face :(
- I spent at least an hour researching this error on various forums and other sites. There seems to be a few possible "fixes" for the error, but what I also found is that people are divided on what the correct fix is, and that some things you might do could make things much worse. I am hesitant to try anything that was listed. The biggest confusion I have is why Win7 couldn't configure to run on this hardware when...Win7 is already running on this hardware :insanity:

So now I'm wondering if I can solve the hardware configuration issue and get windows reinstalled...and if so, if that will even fix the 'not genuine' popup... :clover:

This has not been and is not very fun :chargrined:

Okay Hope I understood you correctly so basically you're saying the Microsoft tech and you try to remove a 100 MB system partition
well when you install window automatically creates a system partition of approximately 100 to 300 MB deleting that it's not really a good idea but it could be done the correct way by using third-party software to remove the partition it's really not recommended I believe by you messing around with acronis or other third party software it's not a good idea like I said this point your problem could be undetectable I would probably recommend reinstalling Windows based on what you're stating but just wait for more of our friends in the forum they might have a better idea

Back
Top Bottom