Windows 8 Windows bsod before completing personalisation process after installation

I use a Dell inspiron n5110 laptop with 500gb hard disk space and 4 GB of ram. Recently I thought of changing my os from windows 7 home basic to windows 8 . I used a USB drive to install it on my laptop via custom installation procedure. The installation was complete and the laptop restarted. I even got the windows logo with " getting devices ready " messages. But i got a black screen after that . Since it took too long I pushed the power button off and turned it back on . But the problem persisted . After repeating the same process I got a blue screen with an error message "page fault in non paged area" . I could not boot into safe mode too. I can't get past that black screen . I even downloaded a new iso image of windows 8 and tried installing in my C: drive after formatting it. The problem persists even now. And I can't format my whole hard disk as I don't have any backup for the data. What should I do ?

On a different computer download a copy of Ubuntu and make a bootable flash drive. Boot to that and with an external drive back up your data. Then do a clean install of Windows.

Hello bro,

Once it happened to my friend's system , then what i did was little fix with these following methods as mentioned by other friend and also assisted by ms tech team when contacted via their forums

First of all, Restart your PC. When your PC is booting up, You will see black screen with white text. It’s the first stage. At this stage press F8 key on your keyboard and hold it. Now you will see Windows Advance Options Menu. Select Last Known Good Configuration and press enter. Your PC will be restart automatically. It will stop page fault in nonpaged area temporarily.

Note: In Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10, You have to enable F8 key function manually. To learn how to enable F8 key, Read this article: Enable F8 Key. If you want to boot into safe mode in Windows 10 easily, Here is the solution: Boot Into Safe Mode in Windows 10

Method 2: Disable Memory Cache
Restart your PC again. This time press F12 at the first stage of booting. F12 is not root function key for all PC. F2 and F10 may be root function key for some PCs. So you may have to press F2 or F10 button instead of F12. Anyway, After pressing F12, You will see some setting. Find and disable Memory Cache. Now Save this setting and exit. After doing it, You may think you almost fixed page fault in nonpaged area error. But there is another step in hand. Follow step 3.

Method 3: Run chkdsk to Fix Page Fault In Nonpaged Area
After restarting your PC, Press Windows Logo+R on your keyboard and type “chkdsk /f /r C:” and press enter. Your PC will find and fix hard-drive problem. If you face page fault in nonpaged area error for disk drive’s fault, this step will fix it.

These 3 steps will fix page fault in nonpaged area blue screen error of your Windows and prevent it from coming back.

Last edited by a moderator:
This usually exists when the drivers are not updated properly. It seems that you will have to boot into BIOS and update the drivers through that place.
Use a USB drive flashed with the latest Windows 8.1 compatible BIOS firmware flashed into it and then install that on your laptop.
Then make a Windows 8.1 bootable USB and then install Windows 8.1 on that system.

Back