Windows 7 windows error 800F8026

rpjd

I am having a problem with Windows 7 Service Pack 1 update KB976932, After installation and reboot, it only configures to 7%, reboots, continues at 7% then says Failure configuring Service Pack 1, reverting changes. After a reboot, Windows Updates gives this error codex800F8026. Can anyone explain what this error code means? I can't find any solutions
Just to give some background, the Windows 7 is an upgrade that I got from the Toshiba as I availed of the offer from Microsoft re its free upgrade for Vista machines bought in 2010. I got 2 CD's from Toshiba. All other updates have installed without any proble. Would this have any impact on the configuration of KB976932?
As an aside, I'm trying to update my Galaxy S Android OS, but Windows 7 is not recognising the handset, MTP installation failure. Windows XP does recognise the handset. Open to suggestions!

Last edited:
This is a Microsoft article discussing problems with SP1. You might go through the procedure to see if anything helps.

If you are having problems with a device, it may be causing the problem.

Network connectivity can also be a problem. You might be able to download it and install manually.

If you want to copy one day of a failed install attempt of the WindowsUpdate.log and attach it, I will look at it to see if anything stands out.

Last edited:
The error is informing you, for example, that some previous, essential updates, were not installed correctly

The correct link should be
How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues

But also download and run this

What is the System Update Readiness Tool?

In connection with this link, have a look in your Update history and make sure you have succesfully installed these updates
KB2482017, KB2475792, KB2479943, KB2485376, KB2484033

KB2482017, KB2475792, KB2479943, KB2485376, KB2484033 have all successfully installed. I checked all the updates listed as failed initially, all have installed. I have also downloaded and run the System Update Readiness Tool, to no affect. KB976932 is bundle of updates, I think 4 maybe 5, 1 one which to be configured by Windows. According Windows Update there is only 1 update available KB976932.

The Windowsupdate.log in the Windows directory might give us some clues as to what might be going on. Copy one day's worth of information on a day you have tried an update. Then attach the .txt file, or .zip using the paperclip in the Advanced reply.

KB2482017, KB2475792, KB2479943, KB2485376, KB2484033 have all successfully installed. I checked all the updates listed as failed initially, all have installed. I have also downloaded and run the System Update Readiness Tool, to no affect. KB976932 is bundle of updates, I think 4 maybe 5, 1 one which to be configured by Windows. According Windows Update there is only 1 update available KB976932.

I have attached a txt file containing the windows update entry for the error 0x800F0826. Hope it proves useful!

Attachments

• windowsupdatelog.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 421
Have you already downloaded the update? The following statement in the log would seem to be a problem.

Network state: Disconnected

Maybe you copied the wrong information. Since the network is disconnected, I don't know if any of the other log entries mean anything. But you have rebooted your system at some time recently?

Sorry about that, grabbed the wrong chunck of data, hopefully the updated (larger) file will be more usefulView attachment windowsupdatelog.txt. For some inexplicable reason, the Manage Attachment client doesn't allow attachments to be deleted.

Last edited:
Much better file, thanks. But I do notice it is from 4/23.. is that your latest update attempt?

I found one error that seems to relate to this Microsoft website. You might look at it.
This would seem to be unnecessary since I cannot find the file mentioned on my install, but maybe you will.

I still see messages about reboot required and
User declined update at shutdown
. Please confirm you have rebooted your system.

Last edited:
Something strange, Windows update KB915597 became available and installed fine, no reboot required. After it installed, Windows says it is up to date, no sign of update KB976932, normally after an update installs it checks again for updates and KB976932 appears. I'm wondering why KB976932 hasn't appeared in Windows Update. If this update shows up in an hour or two lets say, I'm gonna be pissed off!

Confucious says, the update that I'm having problem with is KB976923 (SP1), I installed KB915597. After every update, Windows checks for any outstanding updates and then displays KB976932. Don't know why its not appearing. KB is not lkisted in the update history as successful.

Confucious says, the update that I'm having problem with is KB976923 (SP1), I installed KB915597. After every update, Windows checks for any outstanding updates and then displays KB976932. Don't know why its not appearing. KB is not lkisted in the update history as successful.

Sorry. I've become lost here.? 32 is the standard message which was coming through advising that SP1wasavailable for download, with a click link to the download site.. ( Download details: Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932) )

23 was related to Windows Server 2008 SP1. This is your first mention of 23?

Link Removed due to 404 Error

The '23' in my last post was a typo, in all previous posts I do refer to KB976932. I've had this update in my windows update list for months due to configuration failure after reboot while every other update has installed without a problem. But today for some reason, after installing KB915597, its not appearing at all, and is not listed in the successfully installed updates list. Strange.

KB976932 is a collection of important updates, 533MB in total, the update that won't configure for me is 44 MB, no sign of KB976932 for the last 2 days and then it rears it ugly head again. So I open Windows update, select it and click download. It attempts to download, but 5 minutes later, 0 MB downloaded. Obviously a problem with the website. I cancelled and tried again. Another 5 minutes later, 0MB downloaded. I'll try again in a few hours.

I am also a little confused about what we need to do.

If your problem is that you cannot install SP1, the chances are you are being restricted because of problems with earlier updates. Even if an update showed as failed initially and then later as successful, it may have still left your system in an unsyncronized state. This is the information I was trying to get from your WindowsUpdate.log, but you have not allowed access to the latest information.

There is also a CBS.log that could be checked if it is copied to the desktop. WindowsUpdate writes events to this log also.

If it hasn't been suggested already, I would ask you open Windows Update and look at the history. Make note of the updates that originally showed as "failed".

After that, go back to the main page and click on "Installed Updates" in the lower left of the window. Find those updates and right click and select "Uninstall".

Now let Windows Update find them again and see if they will install correctly the first time. A good internet connection is essential for a good install.

Also, are you showing a gold shield on your shutdown button on the Start Menu?

If nothing else works, go to the Microsoft site and download the SP1 update directly. You will have to authenticate to download, which in itself might help your situation.

I've attached the windows update log for today: I uninstalled 5 updates that initially failed but installed eventually. Restarted. Two updates available, one of which was KB976932. I selected both, but nothing was downloading. I downloaded directly from the site and installed it maually. It went through the install process. After rebooting it went to the configuration cycle. Part1 configured to 7%, rebooted. Guess what happened next. Failure configuring Service Pack 1. The is the error reported after restarting was Error: DS_S_SUCCESS(0X0). I have no problem installing any other updates.

Attachments

• windowsupdatelog.txt
    88.9 KB · Views: 472
From what I can tell from the log so far is that 3 of the 4 files were downloaded and verify correctly. One (9B3E0557-xxx) keeps being queued up for download, but cancels because the CBS.log seems to think it is already downloaded. There are indications the "sandbox" in the CBS.log is attempting to reset, but for some reason is not able.

So, check the following location for the file indicated to see if it is actually there.

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\bd60fbfcf1ac006bf26f6afa5c1dff1a

This is the sandbox containing the downloaded file, or so it looks.

I will be doing more research the rest of the day, but you have stated you already tried deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder. When I tried that, I could only go into the folder and delete it's contents, except for the ReportingEvents.log file.

Edit: You might also try renaming the DataStore and Download folders with a .bak extension.

I am going off the road here, but I am thinking about deleting the sandbox file mentioned above, but I will be checking more later. If you have already deleted the parent folders, then you have already deleted it anyway, unless you want to try deleting just the Download folder.

I am assuming you could not have hidden this one update or part of one update.

Anyway, I will post back by in the next 8 hours whether I find something or not.

Last edited:
The file you indicated bd60fbfcf1ac006bf26f6afa5c1dff1a is not listed. After uninstalling the file updates that initially failed to install, I assumed they would all become available again. When the laptop rebooted, only 1 has been highlighted in windows update, along with the outstanding update from KB976932. I can't understand, why windows takes so long to recognise when an update has been uninstall to offer it again. Anyway, I'm still at square 1 with this.

I have been looking, but the best I can come up with is to delete the folders in the SoftWareDistribution folder. You might try changing the names, or just delete the History folder--whatever works. I can't see any other way to try to synchronize your system since it appears the auto sync function is not working correctly.

Back