Windows Explorer and Connection Issue!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help and Support' started by jakeisgreat, Jun 10, 2009.

1. jakeisgreat

jakeisgreat New Member

I recently installed TuneUp for my laptop (Gateway running Vista Home Premium x32) and I was cleaning things up on it. I think I may have deleted something or done something to mess it up. Now when I turn on the computer, Windows Explorer freezes up constantly. And when I try to click on the button to connect to a network on the internet, it doesn't do anything. I have tried doing a restore but the furthest I can go back is a few days ago and the problem was still there then. I have no idea what I have done to screw it up, but I could really use someone's help. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THanks in advance

Also, I did a registry cleanup and it was after that when this issue came about....if that could have anything to do with it.

2. Celestra

Celestra Former Moderator

Hi! What is this Tune up that you are talking about? Maybe it is not compatible with your computer. are there any error codes? If it just erased something you can try a start-up repair, you'll need an installation disc.

3. jakeisgreat

jakeisgreat New Member

It's TuneUp Utilities 2009. There is no error code. Windows explorer says it has stopped working, then says it is restarting and thats it. doesn't tell me anything else

4. Celestra

Celestra Former Moderator

Startup Repair: frequently asked questions - Windows Vista Help (I'm sorry I left you alone for a while, I had to cut off because of a serious migrane headache which seemed to appear out of nowhere) My eyes hurt... I wanted to say to check for virus or trojan. Kemical will come in tonight he'll have some comments....

5. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

Tuneup utilities can cause problems if you don't look over the entries carefully.

Hopefully, you created a System restore point that you can go back to.

6. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Hi Jake,

unless the utility you used created a back-up or as reghakr say's if you have a system restore point that goes that far back (I think you've already said that you haven't.) then you may be looking at a re-install.
    You could try booting from disk and running the repair utility but usually you always end re-installing eventually...

7. imported_PcBoyGeorge

Tune-up Utilities 2009 comes with a feature to undo any things that you do that cause problems. Its recovery manager or something . Just undo registry updates and stuff.