Windows 7 Windows Explorer crashes when right-clicking image files

yoshirocks

OK, here's my problem:
Whenever I right-click on a picture file, Windows Explorer will freeze, saying Not Responding in the window title bar and in Task Manager.

After ending the process and restarting Windows Explorer, I get an error that says "The remote procedure call failed and did not execute."
This error can be fixed by hitting Start, Run, typing services.msc, and starting Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator.

If I leave Explorer alone for several minutes, the context menu will finally come up, and after that it comes up instantly for all picture files I right-click on as long as I leave the Explorer window open.
It only does this on image files (JPG, PNG, BMP, etc.) With all other files, the context menu always comes up without a problem.

I tried downloading ShellExView, disabling all non-Microsoft context menu items and restarting, but it didn't help.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ShellExView usually ‘points’ to the culprit. However, here are a few other things to try:

1. As you get the ‘Stopped working’ message when accessing Folders that contain pictures/videos, it can sometimes be cured by going to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Folder Options > View Tab and put a tick in ‘Always show icons, never thumbnails‘.

2. Look in the Action Center for any issues. Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Action Center or right-click the icon in the Notification Area (bottom right of screen). In the main window, click the drop-down arrow to the right of Maintenance where you can select View Reliability History. In View Reliability History, right-click on any Windows Explorer errors and View technical details, which may be of help.

Also, at the bottom, click View All Problem reports and Check for Solutions.

3. If the issue still hasn’t been resolved, read about and then download, unzip and run Process Monitor version 3.1 (it doesn’t need installing), from here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Because of the huge number of activities, it can be made easier to understand by de-selecting some of the activities. The activities can be toggled on/off by clicking them on the right-hand side of the Toolbar, they are Registry, File, Networking, Processes/Threads and Profiling. Also, click Autoscroll on the Toolbar to see the current real-time events.

Back