Windows 7 Windows Explorer is not auto refreshing

Shalom2010

When I first installed Windows 7, I found (as per Vista) that when a file was dropped into a folder, it was immediately ordered alphabetically. For some reason this has stopped working and the file simply drops to the bottom of the list in each folder.

Can anyone tell me why this is so and what the solution is, apart from hitting F5 to refresh and reorder the folder of files?

Thanks

Steven

Yes,

It is a pain.....happens on Vista and Windows 7.

I haven't found a fix yet, maybe someone else will follow up on your post

Thanks for the reply.

The odd the thing is, if I drap/drop a file (rather than use either a shortcut or right clicking cut/paste), the file is exactly where it should be!

Steven

It also works OK if you create a New Folder, and when you rename that folder it also is alphabetically sorted

Funny. My case is the exact opposite . One of the many reasons preventing me to stay and work on the new windows is the auto-refresh feature. For my type of work it's imperative that the windows DO NOT autorefresh the folders. In XP this is the behaviour.

How can I disable the autorefresh in vista or seven ? Shalom2010 do you have an advice for this ?

Not really!

I have found that when I copy a file to the same drive it does not auto refresh (ie sort by whatever) BUT if you say copy from your C drive to an external drive, it does Auto Refresh.

I suspect this is a bug in Windows 7 - as in Vista this did not happen.

Best regards

Steven

Funny. My case is the exact opposite . One of the many reasons preventing me to stay and work on the new windows is the auto-refresh feature. For my type of work it's imperative that the windows DO NOT autorefresh the folders. In XP this is the behaviour.

How can I disable the autorefresh in vista or seven ? [...]

Same for me, i really can't stand the new auto-refresh behaviour :(. Is there anyone who can shed any light on whether it's possible to deactivate it?

Regards
Tim

Finally a solution!!

I too was troubled with this annoying issue till recently i discovered a solution which worked for me. All i did was,

1. My Computer>Organize>Folder and Search Options>View>Uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files(Recommended)"

2. Delete "Desktop.ini" file on Desktop

3. Restart the computer...

That should do the trick.....

Regards,
Saf

Re: Finally a solution!!

I too was troubled with this annoying issue till recently i discovered a solution which worked for me. All i did was,

1. My Computer>Organize>Folder and Search Options>View>Uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files(Recommended)"

2. Delete "Desktop.ini" file on Desktop

3. Restart the computer...

That should do the trick.....

Regards,
Saf

THANKS, that worked for me.

Using windows 7 64bit

Back