Windows 7 windows hangs while opening a drive

sudhir dara

i am using windows 7 home premium 64 bit. i have 4 partitions of my hard disk. one of them i mostly use to store music videos and pictures. now windows hangs whenever i try to open videos and picture folders in that drive (it doesn't hang when i open folders in it containing MP3's ). other drives are working well. please help because those pictures are very important for me..

What do you use to open those pictures and videos? Generally videos take more system memory than an MP3 song takes. But what's wrong with the pictures? This seems system memory problem. What is your RAM?
Regards.
hi megcoo, i m using 'windows live photo gallery' for pictures and 'vlc' for videos. RAM is 4 GB. windows hangs even before i open the pictures and videos, right after opening the folder while generating thumbnails.

If you have a HDD, it may be as simple as defragging the disk. Its files may be thrown along the disk in bits and pieces, and gathering them takes some time. Causing delay.

You know what, there's something you need to check. Just do one thing, copy all the pictures and videos in a Pendrive or any other external storage media. Then open them in any other system, for example: you can try to open them in your friend's system. If the system (your friend's system) doesn't hang while opening them, it means nothing unusual with them. You should format your operating system (only C: drive). Then install all the software which are required to open those files. Now open them, see if your system still hangs or not.
Regards.
i tried that earlier, it hanged while copying..

I repeat myself: the easiest try is to right click your drive in Explorer and choose Properties / Tools / Defragmentation. It's done miracles for many.

The first thing, if the pictures are important is to copy them somewhere so if there was some corruption or a problem with the drive, you will not loose them.

How much free space is left in that partition?

In the Control Panel-Troubleshooting, there is a Performance checker. Perhaps it would give you some guidance..

You say the other partitions are working well, so does that mean you can open the same type of files from those partitions and the system does not hang?

The first thing, if the pictures are important is to copy them somewhere so if there was some corruption or a problem with the drive, you will not loose them.

How much free space is left in that partition?

In the Control Panel-Troubleshooting, there is a Performance checker. Perhaps it would give you some guidance..

You say the other partitions are working well, so does that mean you can open the same type of files from those partitions and the system does not hang?

thanks for your support saltgrass, as you have asked, i ran performance checker but it dint detect anything. furthermore,
i tried but copying files also stuck in between. earlier there was very less space left in that drive, then i deleted some files, now there is about 16 GB free space available.
yeah other partitions are working well and dont hang while opening same type of files..

Since the files open normally on other partitions, I would consider that something in that partition might be corrupted in some way and making the system deal with it.

I suppose, depending on your setup, it might be an indexing or scanning issue.

Since the files open normally on other partitions, I would consider that something in that partition might be corrupted in some way and making the system deal with it.

I suppose, depending on your setup, it might be an indexing or scanning issue.

so what settings will you recommend for indexing and scanning?

Oh, not a good sign. Seriously, never faced such an uncommon situation. Do as I said, format your C: Drive and then try to open the files. Or you may check your hard disk by connecting it to any other system. Then try to open those files, are they getting opened or still not?
I'm working in this issue. Hope to be succeeded very soon.
ok, i'm on it, will reply you with results ASAP.. thanks a lot for your support.

If you format your C you will loose your Windows, and you will need to re-install it, with all the trouble that comes along, installing all programs. If your OS works well otherwise, I would suggest against this. I would go with Saltgrass - trying to find a way out of it based on the present OS. Can't give you precise advice, sorry, but one might be to

1. safe copy your files there on another partition or disk,
2. wipe out the partition in question
3. create a new partition there
4. test the new partition
5. move the files back

These may be as difficult as sport injuries. Best of luck.

hi everyone, thanks a lot for your kind support and time. it was a windows explorer issue, i tried Xyplorer and issue is resolved now, everything is working fine. thanks again. :razz:

As always, the main thing is to get it running. Happy about that. Still, if you have the energy, you might do well with some perseverance in order to find out what was the root to the problem. Just because a found solution may not be the ultimate answer to the problem?

I'm not the boy who cries WOLF every time something happens, but actually malware and all kind of nuisance can cause unpredictable problems. Please, make a thorough scan with the security program you have, plus Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download and perhaps even an extra on-line scanner.

Another thing is, if you have a legitimate Windows, you can ask them about the issue. My experience is, they are very helpful.

Glad You got it running. :)

Last edited:
Back