Windows Live lost word document

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by sheree, Sep 25, 2014.

1. sheree

sheree New Member

New here and hoping for some help. Have searched the web and now understand that you shouldn't edit documents when you have opened them in live mail without saving to a folder first. However that's what I did and have lost my thesis document with extensive edits.
    I have searched my computer and come up with one item in the windows cashe from about the time I saved and closed the document but am unable to open it. It is a DB file - although my document wasn't a database just a word doc.

I have tried downloading the various database opening software programmes to have a look at the cashe file but no luck.

I did reopen the document from live mail so may have overwritten the whole thing anyway but I live in hope that the cashe item is what I need. Can anyone tell me a simple way I could view it?

2. TRSS

TRSS Member

Hello, Sheree!

If you think the "DB file" may be some kind of backup of your work, it can be worth a try to open it as plain text! To do so, find the concerning file, right click it, select open with, select program, and choose an editor e.g. under the path %systemroot%\notepad.exe (just copy and paste this path in your file browser's path bar).
    I just want to point out that my user interface is not English so I am not certain if these are the correct terms, you will have to find the correct options on your own.

let me know if this worked