Windows 7 Windows Live Mail automatically checks for email when set not to do that

mycranium

My installation of Windows Live Mail automatically checks for and retrieves email even though I have set it NOT to do that.

In Tools - Options - General I unchecked "Send and receive messages at startup" and "Check for new messages every [time is grayed out]"

Yet the program still automatically checks for email and downloads it.

I have my Hotmail account set up, and I could sort of see that account automatically retrieveing mail, but I also have other accounts set up through my ISP and through my own domain, and these are also being automatically checked even though I have cleared the checkboxes described above.

I have closed the program and rebooted since unchecking those boxes (this has been going on for an extended time, several weeks at least).

Am I missing some option somewhere, or is this just broken? I can't imagine it's the intended behavior.

I'm running Windows 7 x64, Windows Live Mail Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8089.0726).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

-Mike

Hi,
I got exactly same issue. It is extremely BAD, as it contradicts the whole way I'm using my mail.
I have to turn the program OFF to prevent it from checking my mail automatically.
Please advice.
My configuration: Windows 7 Professional 64, Live Mail.

To make Windows Live Mail, Windows Mail or Outlook Express check for new mail periodically and automatically and in the background and barely noticeably:

• Select Tools | Options... from the menu.
  • Go to the General tab.
  • Make sure Check for new messages every __ minute(s) is checked.
  • Decide on how often you want Windows Live Mail, Windows Mail or Outlook Express to look for new mail.
    • Typical values are between 10 and 60 minutes. Less frequent interruptions are usually better. The maximum interval Windows Live Mail, Windows Mail and Outlook Express will accept is 480 minutes, equal to 8 hours.
  • Click OK.
  • Select Tools | Accounts... from the menu.
  • Highlight the email account you want to be checked for new mail automatically.
  • Click Properties.
  • Go to the General tab.
  • Make sure Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing is checked.
    • In like manner, make sure this item is not checked for accounts you do not want to be checked automatically by Windows Live Mail, Windows Mail or Outlook Express.
  • Click OK.
  • Now click Close.

Back