Windows Vista Windows Live Messenger and AVG problems

Newham

Hi there, i've had Vista for nearly a month now and whilst it looks nice, it has many, many issues.

My software for the Creative Zen didn't close without an update, thankfully that's sorted out now. My main problems now are with the above programmes.

Windows Live Messenger is unresponsive EVERY TIME i come back from hibernation. I have to Ctrl Alt Delet it and open again. Sometimes even Ctrl Alt Delete doesn't even close it, so i have to reboot if i want MSN to work. AVG has been giving me some serious gyp too. I installed the 8.0 version and all went fine for a couple of days. Now it won't respond and when i click the shortcut, nothing happens.

Frankly, i find Vista to be highly problematic and doesn't even come close to justifying the ludicrous price tag. Can anyone help me out with my problems?

Hi Newham,
lets start with the basics..
Please post your system specs and a dxdiag (you could post that as an 'attachment') To get your dxdiag, type dxdiag in the run box and hit ok. Then in the bottom right-hand corner of the revealed box is the button 'save all information', hit that to save it to either your desktop or another location.

Hi Newman! When you hibernate you lose INTERNET conductivity. Messenger simply shut itself off. You should see the Messenger Icon (two green people with a red X) around or near your Yahoo! Search Bar. Right Click the Icon: it will bring you a list of options. Open Messenger, Exit etc. Have you made a desk top Icon yet ? It will help... Does your Messenger open automatically after boot? Mine does. (This link may help you with Avg 8.0) http://www.grisoft.com/ww.support Is your Avg 8.0 free? If it is, it's not as good as the paid for edition. You should have the root kit, it your computer programs are compatible with the tool bar for your browser. From what I understand about that kind of security software is that they get more false positives than other security programs. (Boot to Windows in Safe Mode, press F8 when booting and run Avg 8.0 in the command line interface).

Hi there pal. I'm aware that WLM disconnects whenever i turn it off, it's that the programme becomes unresponsive following a hibernation. If you highlight the icon on the bottom right, it does say 'windows live messenger - not signed in', but you can't do anything else with it.

Here's my DX Diag

Newham, Messenger is being blocked by your Avg 8.0. Have you tried this fix? Link Removed - Invalid URL

I had a look at your dxdiag and apart from your drivers being a little old everything seems as it should. Check on the laptop makers website and see if they have any driver updates..Have you tried re-installing both applications again? It may be worth a shot..

Perhaps the problem lies within Messenger itself. See attachment below. By the way, I'd try another anti virus software-- just to see what happens. Access Messenger through one of your other connected accounts, MY SPACE, HOT MAIL, whatever. People sometimes have trouble un-installing and re-installing Messenger 8.5. There is a thread called "Messenger 8.5", it talks about it.

Back