Windows 10 Windows Mail Connections

Carol B

I continually get messages that say my Windows Mail connections are out of date, but when I type in the new correct Mail password, it won't take. It says "OK" but will not receive or send any Mail, just continues to sync. When I try again to type in the new correct Mail password, I see it didn't change from the old one, which has more digits in it than the new one. Geek Squad can't fix it. Help.

Weird!
Let's see:
- Are you using the W10 mail app or another mail client?
- Is it a Microsoft mail address (Hotmail, live.com or outlook) or gmail or something else?
- Can you access your email on another computer or using webmail of your provider?
- Have you tried to remove your mail profile / account and create a new account?

And most of all welcome to this forum!
Hope to hear soon of you

Hi, and thank you for your help. I used the W10 mail successfully for over six months but have had to resort to using only the webmail of my provider Cox in Phoenix. I do not use a Microsoft mail address. I haven't tried to access my email on another computer. I have removed my mail profile and created a new account. Both the Geek Squad and a private technician tried and could not get Windows 10 to change my password to agree with the one I have for Cox Webmail. I asked Geek Squad to uninstall and reinstall my Windows 10 mail but they refused to do it, saying it would cause problems with the registry, I think. They said it would pretty much mess up Windows 10.

OK
So, if I understand it well, you are using webmail and Windows won't remember the password for it.

I don't understand you changed your mail profile, because
- if you are using webmail of your provider you read your email remotely through an internet explorer like Edge or Chrome, on the site of your provider
- and when change your email profile through 'All settings' > 'Accounts' > 'Email and App account' you change the profile of the local email account which you don't use when you use webmail.

The Credential manager is the place where the password should be saved.
Type in Help in the left bottom corner 'Credential manager' open it and look under Web Credentials if you are using webmail and under Windows Credentials if you are using some email client.

Hope this helps

Hello, and thank you again for your help. I don't understand what I am to look for under Windows Credentials in order to get my Windows 10 Mail password to agree with my Cox enhanced webmail account. Cox has not been able to help me. I don't want to change the password I use to connect to Windows after shutting down by just guessing at what to do. Sorry to be so dense.

To be sure I understand you, if you want to read your mail you start up an Internet Explorer like Edge or Chrome and click on the Cox favorite?
I am not sure because in your first mail you say that something is syncing and stays syncing and that can only be a local mail app.

Passwords for windows apps and passwords to be used on the internet are stored in the Credential Manager. The Windows logon password is stored elsewhere.

Look in the Credential Manager:
Under web credentials , you will see a list of web locations (http://webmail.some_provider.com) followed by the user name; this is the place where you can specify the password.
Under Windows Credentials you will see a list of apps (something like [email protected]), that is the place where the password for my outlook mailclient is stored.

Hope I am more clrear now!

Hi, and continuing thanks. You are always clear. It's just that I don't yet find a way to change my password under Web Credentials for what are three different cox accounts which have different passwords. None of those passwords has the same number of digits (16) as the one that Windows 10 Mail keeps coming up with and will not change (and I have no way of finding what that is!). That makes no sense to me. But I know you are on to something and I will continue to pursue your advice. Thank you. Tomorrow I will check again with the Geek Squad to see if they can help using the information you have given me. I really want to use Windows 10 Mail and not Cox Enhanced Webmail.

Hi there

You want to set up Windows 10 Mail rather than using webmail! That makes sense, webmail does not sync. But making a small mistake in setting up a local email account and you see what you see.

I suggest that you remove that email account through 'All settings' > 'Accounts' > 'Email and App account' and create a new one following these guidlines Setting Up an Email Account in Windows

You can check passwords in the Credential Manager easily by opening such a reference. You will be asked for your current password.

And good luck with the Geek Squad, keep us informed, we are learning too

Last edited:
Thanks. My big problem is that I have no idea what Windows 10 Mail is using for my password. It shows 16 asterisks for it and I have never used a password with that number of digits. The Geek Squad, Cox, a private tech, and I have tried many times to eliminate the email account in Windows 10 Mail and open a new one. Windows 10 Mail continually brings up that old 16-digit password. Something is stuck somewhere. I appreciate your help. I wish there were some way Windows 10 could tell me what that old password is so I could change it to agree with my Cox account. I know this is confusing.

Hi

Not sure I completely understand your problem but...

Why don't you just use a mail client like Mozilla Thunderbird?
Install the client, enter your address and then your password, and from then on it will get your mail automatically.

It will store your correct password itself.

If you want to change your password you will have to do that through your email provider.

I.e. if I want to change my Gmail account password I do that through Google, my Comcast one through Comcast.

I'm not sure what you are using as your email in Windows, what is the extension, i.e. @gmail, @comcast, ? etc.

I've tried using Windows 10 mail app and it lacks many of the options of something like Thunderbird, or even Windows Live Mail.

If you want to change your official Windows mail address or password, you can do it here...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...8d2/to-change-your-microsoft-account-password

Mike

Last edited:
Back