Windows 7 Windows Media Player 12 Issues

PattyP

I got my laptop in October of 2011, and it has WMP12.0 but for some reason ever since I got the laptop I cannot play a full song or movie using Windows Media Player. Whenever I play a song it automatically skips to the next one after a few minutes. I thought maybe the songs were corrupted but it happens with songs I install from CD's. When I tried to watch a movie with WMP it kept skipping at random parts of the movie as well. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Last edited:
Hello Patty and welcome to the forum.
Are these songs and video actually on your computer or are they on external media CDs and or DVDs?

The songs I have saved onto my computer from CDs and a flash drive, and the DVDs I tried to play from an external DVD.

Hello Patty and welcome to the forum.
Are these songs and video actually on your computer or are they on external media CDs and or DVDs?

So regardless of the source of the media the results are the same.
Can you fill out your system specs in your forum profile with some additional information regarding your computer we may be able to make some suggestions.
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7...you-filling-your-system-specs.html#post235529
Assuming there is no physical issues with your computer then my initial recommendation is to check with the computer manufacturer's, motherboard manufacturer's and or specific hardware device manufacturer's website and make sure you have the most current driver available for you installed hardware, specifically but not limited to your Sound Card.
Alternately you may want to try an alternative to Windows Media Player 12. Generally speaking a lot of folks around here seem to like VLC Player from VideoLAN - Download official VLC media player for Windows
Not a huge program, easily downloaded, installed and uninstalled if it doesn't prove helpful or otherwise beneficial.
Another possible option would be to remove Windows Media Player from your computer. Click the start orb and type
windows features
expand media features
uncheck Windows Media Player and click OK
Reboot re install it by going back in and re-checking the box.
Let us know how you're progressing
Regards
Randy

Back