Windows 7 Windows Media Player 12 Says 'Not Responding' Immediately After Opening.

Murkurial

As the title suggests yesterday WMP12 started acting very weird and is practically unusable. I'll state from the beginning that the problem seems to have arisen while I was trying to simultaneously convert an MKV in MKV2VOB to play on the PS3, convert an MKV to ISO, and backup a DVD all while attempting to stream files from WMP12 to my Xbox 360. Two of these processes failed and the computer was overall moving very slowly. I've already attempted to restore the W7 to an earlier time and actually got it to go back 2 days before I'd tried any of this and I've still had no luck.

The moment I open WMP12, nothing loads and next to the title of the program it reads (Not Responding). As I type this it's been open for at least 5 minutes and it still hasn't moved. I've gone and deleted every database file and attempted to rebuild the library and when I do that it loads quickly as it should. After I close it again though and re-open it, it's back to hanging up.

[EDIT]: WMP just now moved forward and allowed me to mess with setting and access it as I normally would and I noticed that regardless of the fact that I've rebuilt the database, the same playlist keeps appearing and it contains a file that isn't in the library. I've played it in WMP before and then removed it from the playlist but it neither resides in the "Videos" folder nor have I explicitly "watched" the folder that it's in and yet this is the second time that an random untitled playlist continues to show up with that same file in it. This is even after I've, as I said before, forced WMP to completely rebuild the database.

Last edited:
Can you play a video or a wav/mp 3 file ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Could be worth doing these scans:

1. Start orb => type chkdsk => press Enter => wait for the scan to complete

then:

2. With your 7 DVD in the drive, cmd => type sfcscannow /=> press Enter => wait for the scan to complete

3. Reboot your pc.

Can you play a video or a wav/mp 3 file ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Could be worth doing these scans:

1. Start orb => type chkdsk => press Enter => wait for the scan to complete

then:

2. With your 7 DVD in the drive, cmd => type sfcscannow /=> press Enter => wait for the scan to complete

3. Reboot your pc.

Yes, I am able to play mp3 files as well as the video files that I have in the library right now. I will give your suggestion a shot though and see what happens. What do you mean by start "orb" though?

Back