Windows 7 Windows Media Player not responding?

Morgen

I hope this is the right forum to place this topic, if not I'm truly sorry. However, I am at my wits end and I need some help if anyone has experienced this before.

Recently my Windows Media Player has stop responding, it will open up when I click the icon but from there it freezes at the screen and I have to end the program through task manager which says its not responding.

I have tried restarting my computer, I have done several system restore check points to no avail. When this first started happening I did solve it through >Control Panel >Programs >Turn Windows Features On and Off >Unchecked Windows Media Player >Restarted then went back through the same thing to re-check it and then restarted, this worked ONCE. Now whenever I try to do it, it doesn't help.

I need Windows Media Player for the current job I'm doing and this is my computer with my main files that I have to work from not mention I'd like to be able to watch my movies since its the only thing I have to play DVDs.

Does anyone know anything else I can do? Thank you for any help.

download VLC player, its alot better than windows media player, has more functions too and supports more codecs.

Most of the users faced this problem, where Windows media player stop working abnormally while listening music and watching videos showing you message not responding. I have already faced the same issues when listening songs. After searching on the internet how to solve this issues I got a great help from Windows Media Player Not Responding (Resolved) this site. This site gives the step by step instructions on this issue. If you want you can check.

Are your video card driver up to date?
Same goes for your sound card or on-board sound.
Also type cmd.exe in the search box, right click on it and select"Run As Administrator". Type in chkdsk c: /f /r.
Click Yes in the next windows, type exit and then restart your pc and let CheckDisk check your ssd/hdd and see if it find's and fixes any errors.
Also, is Windows 7 up to date on your pc ?
I heard on Monday or Tuesday, that Windows 7 pc's were having issue's with Windows Update not working properly.
I don't know personally as my pc's both have Windows 10 Pro.
I haven't used Windows 7 since 11/202012.
Windows 10 still has the same version of Windows Media Player as Windows 7 does, WMP 12.
Also, run a full scan with your antivirus program and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware free.
It could be malware causing the issue, too.

download VLC player, its alot better than windows media player, has more functions too and supports more codecs.
Sorry, I don't get that train of thought. VLC is superior when it comes to enditing etc. but as a basic media player Windows is just what it says. Attractive, more so than VLC, and a lot better at indexing that iTunes. And it's free from commercial influence, in the main. I shall be using Windows Media Player in future rather than the Apple version which has just signed me up for Apple Music without my knowing.

Slightly of the point but I remember a time when I had to download codec packs to make unplayable videos play, k-lite codec pack for example was one. Don't seem to need to do that these days, there may be some some circumstances where one needs to. I agree with kaos, VLC is the best media player in the world... probably.
I heard on Monday or Tuesday, that Windows 7 pc's were having issue's with Windows Update not working properly.
Tell me about it. I'm having this problem with 7 important and 2 optional updates.

Back