Windows moves program to background processes

haraku

Hi, maybe someone can help me with this.

I´m a support engineer for a software company. I´m in the middle of testing a software product and noticed a very strange behavior.
The software is built on c++/qt and communicates with the ms sql server (sql server 2014 on windows server 2012 x64). It is itself a testing tool and is supposed to run for several days under relatively heavy cpu/memory load.

After apr. 3 to 4 days the gui of the software suddenly disappeared.
At first I thought it might have crashed but then I noticed that the log files the software creates were still filled with information. So I checked the task manager and saw that windows moved the process from "Apps" to "Background Processes". The taskbar icon was also gone, I was not able to open the gui anymore.

This happens every time I try to test the software. I never encountered behavior like this in any Windows version I worked with.

Has anyone ever experienced this? What can I do?
Is there a way to bring my software from the background processes back to the apps section in the task manager?

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks and best regards

is this server a Virtual-system? ... if it runs out of ram/ cpu cycles thats expected behaviour

Hi, thanks for suggestions.

No, it is not a Virtual-System, but a problem with memory shortness might be a good tip. The machine has 32 GB Ram, but it has to run a lot of memory intensive software. So far, I was convinced, that Windows is able to take care of problems like this (swap file,...). When a memory problem could be the cause of this behavior, at least I have a place to look for problems.
Thanks again and best regards

Back