Windows 8 Windows not using all RAM even though no limit?

jezzaboi123

Hello everyone, I seem to have a problem at least i think i have a problem with my computer.

The picture below is a picture of my computers information WHILE rendering a 3D-text object. I have done some research and cant seem to find a answer or im not sure what to do but i have gathered the information that you can all help me with. I will diagnose what each picture seperately with what i want you to help me figure out in a breif description in it. What i am also trying to do is render videos but it is wanting take over 24 Hours to rendering a 15 second clip.

16079ew.jpg

The bottom photo is a picture of all my specs and what I am running (Windows 8, 64-bit, 8GB Ram, 2.50GHz, ect, ect. My laptop model is a ASUS R500A with Windows 8 pre-installed, clean. This laptop is a month old and only use it for media).

The picture on the left is a photo of my Task manager while its rendering the video. I can see the CPU is going above its limit even though I have not made any modification to my systems settings but the RAM is not being completely used? It also says 5.1GB Available, 3.0/9.1GB commited? (Even though i only have 8GB), and the Page Pool is low as hell when it should be higher? (If im correct)

The picture on the right is a picture of my virtual memory. I have 8GB of ram but the currently located is 1216MB when it recommends 4.5GB? I was thinking about maybe putting this to 4.5GB but im not sure what to set the Initial Size and the Maximum Size values too.​

So basically I want to have my computer modified for rendering at the fastest speed possible. I have also gone into the settings and made sure the limited ram thing is off and it was already off. Help would be much appreciated please!

Attachments

• 16079ew.jpg
    16079ew.jpg
    660.8 KB · Views: 392
The reason your CPU is higher is probably because it's in Turbo mode. New CPU's have this feature of being able to run faster at certain times if possible. (meaning if the power and heat requirements are right)

As for your virtual memory or page file just set it to what windows recommends for both initial and maximum size. That way if it should need to use it then it has the max available straight away.

Some further information can be found here:

TweakGuides.com - The TweakGuides Tweaking Companion

You'll see a Tweakguide for every os as well as free versions. Read up on RAM and page files and you'll learn on how to truly set for the correct amount although it is a involved process.

The reason your CPU is higher is probably because it's in Turbo mode. New CPU's have this feature of being able to run faster at certain times if possible. (meaning if the power and heat requirements are right)

As for your virtual memory or page file just set it to what windows recommends for both initial and maximum size. That way if it should need to use it then it has the max available straight away.

Some further information can be found here:

TweakGuides.com - The TweakGuides Tweaking Companion

You'll see a Tweakguide for every os as well as free versions. Read up on RAM and page files and you'll learn on how to truly set for the correct amount although it is a involved process.

The CPU is not the thing im worried about. Im worried about the RAM why my laptop wants to take a very long time to render a 15 second 3D text video. Will fixing the pages issue speed up or use more of my ram to make it more faster?

The RAM you should be perhaps worried about is VRAM. If you have more Vram then more buffers can be applied to creating the work. If you have none or very little then your own RAM is used which all takes longer with having to swop images back and forth. I see the graphics is a Intel 4000 model which for rendering isn't going to get you a lot done very fast. You could try giving a bigger pagefile and you won't notice the difference using the machine normally.

The RAM you should be perhaps worried about is VRAM. If you have more Vram then more buffers can be applied to creating the work. If you have none or very little then your own RAM is used which all takes longer with having to swop images back and forth. I see the graphics is a Intel 4000 model which for rendering isn't going to get you a lot done very fast. You could try giving a bigger pagefile and you won't notice the difference using the machine normally.

So would you recomend upgrading my page file? If i upgraded it this wont give me no disadvantages to my CPU and RAM speed will it? Also you said I wont get much done with a Intel 4000 model.. What number usually renders fast?

Yup you can upgrade your pagefile to the recommended amount and it won't impact anything else. I run a desktop with 8Gb of RAM and do exactly the same thing. The best way to do this though is to first turn it off. Then reboot and set the pagefile to recommended settings. This will make sure that it's a brand new pagefile with no breaks.
My remark concerning the Intel 4000 graphics means that as it's only a low end device don't expect very fast renders. It and your machine would need to be upgraded for really fast renders. The amount of RAM you have certainly does help but it's the actual graphical engine along with perhaps CPU that is really holding you back.

Hi

What program are you creating the 3D video in?
What size are you making the video?

I use Poser 9, and creating even 15 seconds of video (450 frames) can take a long time even on my computer, if I set the render settings very high.

I7 at 3.80 Ghz, nVidia 680 video card, 32 Gb of 1700 Hrz ram.

I have always set my page file to a fixed size of 1.5 times the the amount of ram I have.

I render the video at full HD or 1600 by 900 but lower the render settings the size seems to take less resources then making the video smaller but at higher settings. In poser at really advanced settings it can take an hour or more to do one frame at max settings.

People do this for still images but for video you just have to make a trade off.

I have done single clips a long as 4,500 frames (because of lip syncing I don't want to break it up) I have to get it down to about a second a frame render time or it just takes too long.

While it wouldn't look great on a movie screen it is adequate for posting online or showing my friends on my computer at 1920 by 1080. Even then the file takes many gigabytes of disk space.

This 3D video is rendered at 1600 by 900 at fairly low render settings.
Click the full screen button to see the video quality clearly, I'm viewing it on a 27" monitor, it looks better on a smaller one but is still acceptable at this size.

[video]http://s1238.beta.photobucket.com/user/nohjekim/media/Lucy%20looks%20at%20life%20002/Lucy002Sailboat1600x900.mp4.html[/video]

The main part of this video was done in 3 clips that took about 40 minutes each to render, that didn't include the titles just the parts with Lucy talking.

Mike

Ps. I want to add that I've never seen a computer that actually used all the ram to do anything, no matter what it always seems to swap stuff to the hard drive even when there is a lot of ram available.

At one time I tried forcing my computer to use the ram by removing the swap file all together but it just made the computer run slower. I don't know why it doesn't use the ram first and then swap what it doesn't have room for but I've never been able to get it to do that.

And if you are really serious about doing 3D video you should consider buying a desktop with a really good video card.
A laptop just isn't going to come with the hardware to do it, unless you go with some kind of super gamer rig that would cost a fortune. You could get a fast desktop much cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

What program are you creating the 3D video in?
What size are you making the video?

Just keep in mind this is a 15 second clip with just 3D text, made a bit shiny and a background which is set to environment mode to give it depth. I tried rendering with the sttings on 10 but it was taking way too long i think the estimate was 17 hours. then i put it down to about 6 then it was going to take 9. On 3 i think it was going to take about 3 hours. and on 1 was an hour and 45 for a 15 second video clip..

Hi

Try setting your Page File to, Custom Size, and set the size of the file to 12 Gigabytes, 1.5 times the size of the amount of ram you have.

Put it on Drive D:\ so that it isn't competing with anything else going on, on drive C:\ unless that's where you are running your software from.

You didn't say what program you are using to create the 3D animation or how big you are making it. There's a lot of difference between doing it at 640 by 480 and 1920 by 1080.

Corel MotionStudio 3D does the kind of thing you are talking about, that's what I used to do the intro for my movie.
It only took a few minutes to render it at full HD.

You can download it and run it free for a test period.
Why don't you try it and see if it performs better then what you are using.

3D Animation Software - Corel MotionStudio 3D

This simple video is only 25 seconds long and took about 12 minutes to render in Poser.
The type is on a flat background image so the only thing that is being rendered in 3D is Lucy.

Lucy Looks At Windows Video by nohjekim | Photobucket

Mike

Back
Top Bottom