Windows 7 Windows OEM version

Italiamipiace

Congratulations guys, you're the only forum ww that answered correctly the difference between an OEM version and an end user version. Found this in the FAQs.
I bought an OEM System Builder Pack 64bits of Win7 Pro together with all my PC parts as I'm assembling myself. For me it's clearly now that only the key will tell Microsoft that I'm an OEM or an End User and that with my package there will be no support at all. (who cares :p )
But still ... a little confusion about some text on the package: "you need to pre-install the software on the hard disk using the Oem Preinstallation Kit (OPK)...."
I know this is for system builders, making their own installation disks but some research on the internet made it more confusing.
So, for 99% I'm sure that my OEM disk will run on a clear system, but to be 100% sure (before opening the sealing): is this OPK software necessary to install my OEM version ONLY to one PC, mine?

Tkx

Congratulations guys, you're the only forum ww that answered correctly the difference between an OEM version and an end user version. Found this in the FAQs.
I bought an OEM System Builder Pack 64bits of Win7 Pro together with all my PC parts as I'm assembling myself. For me it's clearly now that only the key will tell Microsoft that I'm an OEM or an End User and that with my package there will be no support at all. (who cares :p )
But still ... a little confusion about some text on the package: "you need to pre-install the software on the hard disk using the Oem Preinstallation Kit (OPK)...."
I know this is for system builders, making their own installation disks but some research on the internet made it more confusing.
So, for 99% I'm sure that my OEM disk will run on a clear system, but to be 100% sure (before opening the sealing): is this OPK software necessary to install my OEM version ONLY to one PC, mine?

Tkx
I used it on a customer's installation (created a dual-boot with Vista) and it did a clean Win7 install fine. You are aware of the other conditions, e.g. good on one machine.

Last edited:
few last questions

Tkx for the reply.

I discoverd another restriction of the OEM version:
"After installing the OEM version you may not change the hardware. If the hardware is regularly changed than you have to use a DSP version, where you may change the hardware up to 5 times."
I never did heard about an DSP version before. So, only for my own kwonledge: is this limitation true?
It may be a good idea to full the FAQ with the OPK en DSP story, no?

Last one: clean start means C: drive formatted and nothing yet on it, yes?

regards

Tkx for the reply.

I discoverd another restriction of the OEM version:
"After installing the OEM version you may not change the hardware. If the hardware is regularly changed than you have to use a DSP version, where you may change the hardware up to 5 times."
I never did heard about an DSP version before. So, only for my own kwonledge: is this limitation true?
It may be a good idea to full the FAQ with the OPK en DSP story, no?

Last one: clean start means C: drive formatted and nothing yet on it, yes?

regards
That's correct but you can format the C: drive from within the Win7 Install Disk Routine if you want.

I think the OEM Version will allow limited hardware changes, e.g. a video card, but not a MOBO.

Back