Windows 8 Windows Release Preview Evaluation Copy has Expired

jdwfinger

I installed Windows Release Preview Evaluation Copy. Now I am getting messages that my version has expired and to download the newest version. Now the newest version requires a payment. Can I download without paying? Windows said I can't uninstall back to Windows 7. Plus when I installed Windows 8 it erased all my previous files. How can I keep Windows 8? I feel as if I was given a bait and switch. Thank you.

You downloaded a beta product with a fixed expiration date built in. MS doesn't give away free versions of Windows without strings. Next time read the documentation before using.
Joe

There was no bait and switch. You should have, as Joe mentioned, read what you were installing. There were warnings posted all over that these beta OSs were time limited and would expire. The proper way to use Beta OSs for testing is to either install on a separate drive, install in a dual boot scenario, or make a good Image of your original OS before installing a beta OS so that you can go back. These installation methods were also posted all over. You cannot expect to get something for nothing.

You did exactly what many of us recommended not doing back in those days. You replaced a licensed OS with an unlicensed beta OS.

If you have the installation media for Win 7, you can re-install it from scratch. You can try the Win 7 ISO file download and burn to DVD then use this along with your original key to re-install Win 7. If you choose the download here, be sure to get the edition you originally had as the original key is tied to that edition. If your original key was an OEM key, you might have to contact MS to get the installation to activate.

Or you can purchase either Win 7 installation disks or Win 8 Pro.

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed Windows Release Preview Evaluation Copy. Now I am getting messages that my version has expired and to download the newest version. Now the newest version requires a payment. Can I download without paying? Windows said I can't uninstall back to Windows 7. Plus when I installed Windows 8 it erased all my previous files. How can I keep Windows 8? I feel as if I was given a bait and switch. Thank you.

Can you post some further information regarding your system such as, what os were you running before installing the beta and how did you purchase that? Did it come with the machine or do you have disks ect? Plus what type of system do you have? PC or laptop?

There was no bait and switch. You should have, as Joe mentioned, read what you were installing. There were warnings posted all over that these beta OSs were time limited and would expire. The proper way to use Beta OSs for testing is to either install on a separate drive, install in a dual boot scenario, or make a good Image of your original OS before installing a beta OS so that you can go back. These installation methods were also posted all over. You cannot expect to get something for nothing.

You did exactly what many of us recommended not doing back in those days. You replaced a licensed OS with an unlicensed beta OS.

If you have the installation media for Win 7, you can re-install it from scratch. You can try the Win 7 ISO file download and burn to DVD then use this along with your original key to re-install Win 7. If you choose the download here, be sure to get the edition you originally had as the original key is tied to that edition. If your original key was an OEM key, you might have to contact MS to get the installation to activate.

Or you can purchase either Win 7 installation disks or Win 8 Pro.

thanks for the replies. I guess I should have read the fine print. I wrongly assumed that having the trial, it would continue. guess I will just update. thanks all

The $40 Win 8 Pro offer is good through the end of January. This also includes a free copy of Media Center before Jan. 31st.

When you do download the ISO file, and get to the point, choose Install from Media you create. This will allow you to create a bootable DVD or Flash Drive from the ISO file. Having the DVD or Flash is very advantageous as it allows use of the Repair Console and allows for future installations should something go wrong.

I also always recommend a Custom Install. I realize this involves reinstalling all apps, but since your will be installing from a beta, this might be your only alternative.

If it is necessary (I am not sure if you will have to or not), using the Upgrade Media, even for a Custom Install, requires a qualifying OS to be replaced. Since you already have a beta OS, the installation may not see this as a qualifying OS. If this happens, you might have to use a Win 7 installation disk to install a basic Win 7 prior to the installation.

The $40 Win 8 Pro offer is good through the end of January. This also includes a free copy of Media Center before Jan. 31st.

When you do download the ISO file, and get to the point, choose Install from Media you create. This will allow you to create a bootable DVD or Flash Drive from the ISO file. Having the DVD or Flash is very advantageous as it allows use of the Repair Console and allows for future installations should something go wrong.

I also always recommend a Custom Install. I realize this involves reinstalling all apps, but since your will be installing from a beta, this might be your only alternative.

If it is necessary (I am not sure if you will have to or not), using the Upgrade Media, even for a Custom Install, requires a qualifying OS to be replaced. Since you already have a beta OS, the installation may not see this as a qualifying OS. If this happens, you might have to use a Win 7 installation disk to install a basic Win 7 prior to the installation.

I had this problem and solved it much easier... I wrote an batch file which aborts the restart on and on again ....
Code :
echo off
:TOP
shutdown -a
Copy %1 A:
Shift
Goto TOP
Thats maybe not an answer on your thread but still an proper solution....
Dir (Jan)

I had this problem and solved it much easier... I wrote an batch file which aborts the restart on and on again ....
Code :
echo off
shutdown -a
Copy %1 A:
Shift
Goto TOP
Dir (Jan)

It's not a proper solution at all. If the trail has run out either reinstall your previous OS or do the right thing and buy windows 8.

Code :
echo off
shutdown -a
Copy %1 A:
Shift
Goto TOP
Dir (Jan)

Thanks for your input. I have no problem buying the update. my problem is that I am in Mexico and when I go to m-soft, it is in Spanish and will not switch to English. also when I try to buy it for 39.99 everything is good until checkout when the price goes to 536.00 it is frustrating.

See my answer to your other post. Ditto this one.
I think this suggestion is illegal on this forum, but a moderator will confirm that.

Back