Windows 7 Windows search disappeared

eukaryot

Hi everyone!

I've installed Win7 recently, and couldn't help but play with settings and services.

I can't remember precisely what I've done, but now the search is unavailable, i.e F3 won't work anymore, and the search field in folders have disappeared. I've looked for a windows search service, but couldn't find it... Any idea how to bring it back?

When I press F3, I got this error message : there is no program installed to perform the requested action. Please install a program, or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.

I found myself to be needing the search quite often, and it's really a nuisance... Please help!

Hello and welcome,

I hope you created a restore [point before messing with Services.

I would suggest you go back to a time before you made these changes.

Also, you should document what you've done, it's then much easier to undo.

Hi, I had the same problem, and thanks to you I got a clue what it's about. I'm pretty sure you did the same thing (I also couldn't resist fidling around with all those new thingies ;).

Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off (on the left) -> Windows Search (at the bottom).

That should fix it. I don't even use search all that often, but I find the Start Menu search in Win7 the biggest shell/interface improvement yet.

Hi, I had the same problem, and thanks to you I got a clue what it's about. I'm pretty sure you did the same thing (I also couldn't resist fidling around with all those new thingies ;).

Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off (on the left) -> Windows Search (at the bottom).

That should fix it. I don't even use search all that often, but I find the Start Menu search in Win7 the biggest shell/interface improvement yet.

in addition to that, make sure windows search is on in the services.

Back