Windows 7 windows security centre alert about non virus protection

davidca

i dont know what change I may have made to my system but two days ago, windows security centre started showing me warnings saying:

Windows did not find antivirus software on this computer

Same thing with the firewall. i am being told the windows firewall is turned off

I have a full version of the macafee Security Centre which includes firewall, antivirus and spyware so I dont know why Vista is giving me this message. :(

grateful for any help/advice
thanks
david

Hi David,
welcome to the forum :)

Have you actually checked to see if the vista firewall has indeed turned off for some reason?
Plus, has a utility updated auotmatically recently? You could check their update history to see if they have updated themselves as sometimes the odd update can go a bit haywire

If however, you know that your system is being protected and are confident enough to do so, you can turn the warnings off. I run my system without the UAC and so always have the warnings turned off otherwise I' be constantly reminded about the peril I'm in...
To turn the warnings off (in case you don't know), open the security centre and look on the left-hand side. You'll see written 'change the way the security centre alerts me', click that and then click the setting which stops the warnings.
If however you'd feel better off knowing your system will warn you if anything goes awry I'd leave it as it is..

Hi David,
welcome to the forum :)

Have you actually checked to see if the vista firewall has indeed turned off for some reason?
Plus, has a utility updated auotmatically recently? You could check their update history to see if they have updated themselves as sometimes the odd update can go a bit haywire

If however, you know that your system is being protected and are confident enough to do so, you can turn the warnings off. I run my system without the UAC and so always have the warnings turned off otherwise I' be constantly reminded about the peril I'm in...

Hi kemikal,
thanks for your reply. I have just turned off the warnings on window sec center, it's not the perfect solution but at least it will allow me work without panicking for the time being. I cant remember of any facility being installed, i did change a couple of settings on the system configuration panel to avoid skype and other applications to fire up automatically at start-up... do you think that might have caused the warning alerts to come up?
thanks again
David

If you could remember exactly what you turned off or changed then you could try reversing the process and seeing if that resolves the issue.
I notice that in the news today XP users who use AVG 8 have been having problems with a recent update which removes a file stopping the system from booting! So it may be worth double checking on the update front..
As you say turning off the security centre warning isn't a perfect solution but as long as your pretty vigilent then risks can be cut down to a minmum.

Hi Everybody- Let me tell you the problem I have. I have Norton Internet Security and Windows Defender. I get something like that message because Norton wants a particular firewall that Windows absolutely needs. I talked to Norton about the constant warning and they said I should probably completely turn Defender off, they don't require Defender at all, it bothers them. Why do I keep Windows Defender? Occasionally, I have a problem with Norton. The back up, gives me peace of mind. (I'll be taking it down suddenly)

what's windows defender for anyway? is it for those that do not have antivurs on their computers... i will try switching that off and see.... I am pretty confident that macafee is doing a good job with the security suite i have, so i dont see why i need other malware protection. having different antivirus running on the computer can cause problems too, cant it?
thanks for all the advice.

Make sure you get Microsoft's advice on getting rid of Windows Defender. You may need a clean up tool................(When I fix my computer, I'll fix everything at once--can't down when I want to.)

Woh. Windows defender is NOT an antivirus program! It is a (rather poor) anti spyware program. It performs other monitoring functions. I personly find that what it does is covered by other third party security measures I have installed. The first thing I do on a Vista install, is turn off the defender and disable the service.

Woh. Windows defender is NOT and antivirus program! It is a (rather poor) ant spyware program. It performs other monitoring functions. I personly find that what it does is covered by other third party security measures I have installed. The first thing I do on a Vista install, is turn off the defender and disable the service.

Ditto.....

What kind of Windows Defender do you two jokers have? Windows Defender conscripts firewalls and en beds into the hard drive. I have Spy-net and anti virus is available, I've connected with Microsoft anti virus scanners on occasion. (Norton says their service is complete and they need no other system) My system may be getting to complex to share with Defender- it has the phishing protection, identity safe card, log-ins. (And I'm afraid they've started monitoring the number of websites visited- the dreaded restricted quota program) I've read about that, I don't think it's legal....

Huh?

For spyware I use 'Adaware' although (which I also use) AVG which 'is' a anti-virus utility has also some spyware features. Both are free and do the jobs needed..

Quote "What kind of Windows Defender do you two jokers have? "
Windows Defender Review and Download,Spyware Removal,Antivirus & Security Software

You will find several similar sites with these comments and views. No where have I seen an analysis of it,s ability to detect Virus's , as opposed to spyware, key detectors etc.
"Windows Defender conscripts firewalls and en beds into the hard drive. I have Spy-net and anti virus is available, I've connected with Microsoft anti virus scanners on occasion" -
Not quite clear on that statement?

Here is Microsofts own page on the program
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx

Re: windows security centerer alert about non virus protection

Thank You..... I'm never really trusted Windows Defender on the Anti Virus stuff. I've gone directly to Microsoft and used their Anti Virus Scanners. I like an independent opinion, and Windows Defender would be the easiest way to do that without harming my computer with excess security software. (Most spy ware en beds the hard drive which I'm sure clogs things up). I'm having a hard time breaking my attachment to Defender. They should let people keep it, without it, they'll be more space etc. Hey, If I ever want it back maybe they'll charge?

Have a look at Windows Live one care, which is sneakng up on the benchmarks. That IS an antivirus program. There is a free trial here, but you have to buy the full version.
Link Removed due to 404 Errorhttp://www.geekpolice.net/

Hi all, again, it's very useful to get the various different point of view form everyone. i would like to turn off Windows defender then, but I dont seem to know how. If I go to control panel and click on the WD icon, I still dont see how to disable it.

On a separate note, i keep disabling Windows firewall but it enables itself on its own every time I reboot...is it bad to have two my macafee firewall running + windows firewall?

thank you in advance
david

If I were you, I'd just leave the windows firewall alone unless you get any problems using it..
As for turning off Defender it's not that obvious. Open the Defender utility and look along the top. When you see 'Tools' click it and then choose 'options' located near the top of the following screen. You should now be at a screen with some more advanced options for Defender. If you scroll to near the bottom you should see the box that needs unchecking to disable the utility..

Re: windows security centerer alert about non virus protection

Back Again!!! I'm over due to meet with my friend, who is a security professional, in two or three days, which isn't easy. He's not a Norton representative, but very knowledgeable. I'll tell you what he feels--free of charge. I have an expensive security system and it flags a third party software problem. (By the way, I've heard complaints that the "Windows Live On Care" is no good. Businesses use mine...)

Back