Windows Server 2008 setting for application

Teddy

Hello fellas, i'm new to windows server
i've made a simple inventory control app using vb. net and sql server 2005 as dbms
so far it's working fine but i want to run it on more than 1 pc
i know that i need 1 more pc installed with windows server
i've installed windows server 2008 on server pc and windows 7 on client pc
so what's the next step ?

Well typically you'd have a client/server architecture for your application, so the client vb.net app will talk to the server application and it will handle access and authentication to the database back end. You don't necessarily have to do that, but it's commonly setup that way so the server application can control data access and not allow multiple clients to write to the same sql records. You could add some kind of control to your client and not have the server application though too.

Any ways all you really need is for the server to allow tcp 1433 through the firewall if there is one and the account the client is using access to the database. If you're using a SQL account and it's the same you should be fine there.

so besides setting tcp, i don't have to do any more settings ? like domain or something so client can join same domain

If you're using sql authentication being on the domain doesn't matter. If you want to use Windows authentication then the computer would need to be joined to a domain

Back