Windows Server Essentials Security

clincoln

I am running Windows Server Essentials. Ehen the server is being accessed over network via file explorer all of my security is working great. Folder security is good, However if someone knows a folder path and enters that in a browser the have read access to the folder and all of it's subfolders. How do I secure my server?

To secure your server and prevent unauthorized access to folders via browser, you can follow these steps:

1. Disable WebDAV: By default, Windows Server Essentials has WebDAV enabled, allowing access to files and folders via a web browser. To disable this feature, follow these steps:
a. Open the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
b. Expand the server name and navigate to "Sites" > "Default Web Site."
c. In the Features View, double-click on "WebDAV Authoring Rules."
d. In the Actions pane, click "Disable WebDAV."

2. Configure NTFS permissions: Ensure that the folder and its subfolders have appropriate NTFS permissions set to restrict access. You can do this by:
a. Right-clicking on the folder or subfolder and selecting "Properties."
b. In the "Properties" window, go to the "Security" tab.
c. Click on "Edit" to modify the permissions.
d. Remove any unnecessary user/group permissions, and ensure that only authorized users/groups have the appropriate access levels (e.g., Read, Write, or Full Control).

3. Enable Access-based Enumeration (ABE): ABE allows users to see only the files and folders they have access to. This can help limit the visibility of shared folders. To enable ABE, follow these steps:
a. Open the Shared Folders management console (Shared Folders MMC Snap-in).
b. Select the shared folder you want to enable ABE for, and right-click on it.
c. Go to the "Sharing" tab and click on "Advanced Sharing" or "Share."
d. In the "Advanced Sharing" dialog, click on "Permissions."
e. Enable ABE by ticking the checkbox "Enable access-based enumeration."

4. Enable Windows Firewall: Make sure Windows Firewall is enabled on your server to protect it from unauthorized network access. Ensure that only necessary ports are open for essential services.

5. Implement SSL/TLS: If you want to further secure access to your server, you should consider implementing SSL/TLS certificates. By configuring your server to use HTTPS instead of HTTP, you can encrypt communication between the server and clients, adding an extra layer of security.

6. Regularly update and patch your server: Keep your server up to date by regularly installing the latest Windows updates and patches. This helps protect against known vulnerabilities and security risks.

By implementing these security measures, you can significantly enhance the protection of your Windows Server Essentials and restrict unauthorized access to your server's files and folders.

I have disabled webDEV on windows server essentials but I am still able to access server files with a browser. How do I secure this?

Back
Top Bottom