Windows server - How to manage Synology NAS using FSRM ?

Naftali

How to manage Synology NAS using FSRM?

For a school project, I've build a file server using windows server for "permission" et Synalogy NAS to stock folders.
I want to know if there have a way to manage my shared folders from my windows server. Each user got folders named by her username, and into there have a "Downloads" folders. I want to put quota on this specific folder for each user of my domain.

So, is there a way to manage my Synology file server from Windows server ?

If they are all accessing the NAS directly from their systems and you want them to access or control access to it from Windows Server, then yes, you can install FSRM and set up the quotas for it.

Depends now on how they are accessing the NAS already - if everyone is already on FSRM:
  1. Create a File Screen Template: To create a File Screen Template, open FSRM, go to File Screen Templates > Create File Screen Template. In the "Create File Screen Template" wizard, give the template a name (e.g., "Downloads Quota") and select the "Passive screening" option. Click "Next."

2. Define the file group: In the "File groups" section of the wizard, click the "Add" button and select "Files in a folder and all subfolders." Browse to the location of your shared folder and select the "Downloads" folder. Click "OK" to close the file selection dialog.

3. Set the file screen options: In the "Screening" section of the wizard, select the "Define custom file screen properties" option. Then, click the "Customize" button to specify the maximum size of the Downloads folder. In the "File screen properties" dialog, select the "Quota" tab, and set the maximum size limit for the "Downloads" folder. Click "OK" to close the dialog.

4. Create a File Screen: To create a File Screen, go to File Screens > Create File Screen. Give the File Screen a name (e.g., "Downloads Quota"), and select the File Screen Template you created in the previous step. Select the "Add" button, and browse to the location of your shared folder. Select the "Downloads" folder and click "OK" to close the folder selection dialog.

5. Set Quotas: Once you have created a File Screen for the "Downloads" folder, you can set quotas on specific folders. To set a quota, go to Quota Management > Quotas > Create Quota. Give the quota a name, select the user or group you want to apply the quota to, and specify the size limit for the "Downloads" folder.

6. Apply Quotas to Folders: To apply the quota to a specific folder, go to the folder's Properties > Quota > Quota Settings > Edit Quota Properties. Select the quota you created in the previous step and click "OK" to close the dialog.

Repeat steps 4-6 for each user or group you want to apply the quota to. This will ensure that each user's "Downloads" folder is limited to the specified size limit.

They directly the NAS yes. I've tried to set shared folder path in FSRM, but its display error 0x80045306 "Invalid Path". So I had at first mapped shared path in windows with a letter "Z" then I've retried but again same error. Then I've concluded that I had at first to set up my NAS in FSRM as a remote server. But when I try its display an error.
1677645347659.png
"RPC server unavailable on computer "NAS3617-2"
Is there a fist setup there I had to do first on the NAS, before I can add it as remote server ?

If they are all accessing the NAS directly from their systems and you want them to access or control access to it from Windows Server, then yes, you can install FSRM and set up the quotas for it.

Depends now on how they are accessing the NAS already - if everyone is already on FSRM:
  1. Create a File Screen Template: To create a File Screen Template, open FSRM, go to File Screen Templates > Create File Screen Template. In the "Create File Screen Template" wizard, give the template a name (e.g., "Downloads Quota") and select the "Passive screening" option. Click "Next."

2. Define the file group: In the "File groups" section of the wizard, click the "Add" button and select "Files in a folder and all subfolders." Browse to the location of your shared folder and select the "Downloads" folder. Click "OK" to close the file selection dialog.

3. Set the file screen options: In the "Screening" section of the wizard, select the "Define custom file screen properties" option. Then, click the "Customize" button to specify the maximum size of the Downloads folder. In the "File screen properties" dialog, select the "Quota" tab, and set the maximum size limit for the "Downloads" folder. Click "OK" to close the dialog.

4. Create a File Screen: To create a File Screen, go to File Screens > Create File Screen. Give the File Screen a name (e.g., "Downloads Quota"), and select the File Screen Template you created in the previous step. Select the "Add" button, and browse to the location of your shared folder. Select the "Downloads" folder and click "OK" to close the folder selection dialog.

5. Set Quotas: Once you have created a File Screen for the "Downloads" folder, you can set quotas on specific folders. To set a quota, go to Quota Management > Quotas > Create Quota. Give the quota a name, select the user or group you want to apply the quota to, and specify the size limit for the "Downloads" folder.

6. Apply Quotas to Folders: To apply the quota to a specific folder, go to the folder's Properties > Quota > Quota Settings > Edit Quota Properties. Select the quota you created in the previous step and click "OK" to close the dialog.

Repeat steps 4-6 for each user or group you want to apply the quota to. This will ensure that each user's "Downloads" folder is limited to the specified size limit.

I've forget to said that folders are not shared by windows server but directly by the NAS.

If the NAS remote management is on, try connecting to the IP not the hostname and make sure its reachable. You could nslookup NAS3617-2 and see if its resolving to the correct IP. In terms of setting up the server connection in FSRM it should be fairly straight forward as long as you're able to ping the NAS, enable remote management settings, and resolve the hostname I believe.

If the NAS remote management is on, try connecting to the IP not the hostname and make sure its reachable. You could nslookup NAS3617-2 and see if its resolving to the correct IP. In terms of setting up the server connection in FSRM it should be fairly straight forward as long as you're able to ping the NAS, enable remote management settings, and resolve the hostname I believe.
Is it the good setting for remote management ?
1677648579994.png

I've all setting up but get the same error when I try to add it as remote server.

Back