Windows 10 Windows unable to start after laptop crashed during encryption

SMT7993

Hi all! I really hope that I am in the right part of the forum here.

I have the following problem: I tried encrypting my laptop yesterday, but while DiskCryptor was running, said laptop crashed. When I turned it on again, it attempted to repair itself, which it wasn’t able to do. I was given the options to enter the BIOS, use an image or clear the PC instead, amongst others, but the latter didn’t even work, presumably because of the encryption that hadn’t been completed. Is there any way of decrypting the drive or solving the issue in some other way without Windows having to be able to start up?

Thanks!

I do. I would wipe it if there is no other way I would be able to use the laptop again, but it would be amazing if there was a method to keep the files on it.

Did you ask for help on the DiskCryptor forum?

Unfortunately this solution does not mention DiskCryptor but you can try:

How to decrypt Full Disk Encryption

You can also try to contact these guys. Maybe they have a solution for your case:

Last edited:
Thanks for your response!
I tried asking in the DiskCryptor forum, but registration is disabled there, and one needs an account to create a thread.
I don't think software like that would work, as the encryption didn't finish. I know the encryption key, but because it only finished half-way, I never actually get the opportunity to put it in.
I might try contacting the team at Princeton though.

Back