Windows update - cannot start service

Hi all I come here as my last resort! I've googled for hours and hours and have not been able to fix my problem so I hope someone here can steer me in the right direction.

Problem: After uninstalling Norton a few weeks ago I noticed my windows updater was not on, no idea if its related. When I went to check for updates windows told me that the service is off. I tried to restart the service but to no avail. I get this weird error message. Anyways at this time I cannot update windows because of this. Is there a way to fix this or in the very least work around it and get my windows updated?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Screenshots:

I tried that, it failed and said it couldn't fix one or more of the problems. I read the list and it said stuff about a bad windows update. I clicked on the other solutions button and it suggested to do a system restore.... So I tried that and when windows restarted it said the restore was not successful because it couldn't access a file!

Man I love windows!

I bought this computer from Sams Club, it is an HP and of course they do not come with a windows CD is there anyway to get one so I can possibly just format C and start all over?

Josephur

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
It should have some sort of recovery media creation program, look on your Start Menu under the HP software.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.