Windows 10 Windows Update deleted my Linux Partition?!

Paisa90

Extraordinary Member
Hello. I use a Lenovo laptop where I had W10 and Ubuntu on different partitions. It would let me choose between W10 and Linux upon startup and would boot into Linux by default.

After a long update last night, my PC boots directly into Windows (no more bootloader screen). I still see the 60GB partition as "primary partition" but I can't manage to boot into Linux anymore.

The laptop is almost new, and none of the OS were presenting malfunctions.

I tried restoring to the previos Windows update and it didn't work, and sadly I didn't have a system restore point.

Is there anything I can do? How can something like this be so arbitrary?

This is a very common behavior for Windows as it doesn't support Linux file systems nor does it recognize the grub boot loader is in place and it's not super difficult to fix. Basically you just need to update grub and it should be fixed.

What you will need
  • Linux rescue or "live" boot disk preferably the same distro as what your running
  1. Boot to the live distro
  2. Identify which partition is the root linux partition and remount it
    1. sudo lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT to see the device structure
    2. Remount the filesystem rw for example if the root partition is /dev/sda2 sudo mount -o remount, rw /dev/sda2 /mnt/temp
  3. The change your root file system to the Linux partition mount point sudo chroot /mnt/temp
  4. The update grub with sudo update-grub
  5. Reboot and you should have your boot menu back

Excellent help there. I sometimes have had reasons for a dual boot, including Linux. I have always relied on easybcd (https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/) to fix it. You can edit in your second os and arrange the boot - never a problem.

Hello. I use a Lenovo laptop where I had W10 and Ubuntu on different partitions. It would let me choose between W10 and Linux upon startup and would boot into Linux by default.

After a long update last night, my PC boots directly into Windows (no more bootloader screen). I still see the 60GB partition as "primary partition" but I can't manage to boot into Linux anymore.

The laptop is almost new, and none of the OS were presenting malfunctions.

I tried restoring to the previos Windows update and it didn't work, and sadly I didn't have a system restore point.

Is there anything I can do? How can something like this be so arbitrary?
Windows can't delete Linux partition without your permission. Your Linux partition is safe.
So here is what happened. Windows does not recognize Linux. So whatever changes which you had made in order to boot into grub, those changes were not okay with the Windows. So, during the update, Windows has once again changed your boot order to the previous setting.
1. Check UEFI settings.
2. Change the boot border. While switching on your laptop > press escape button. Then enter the specific function key for "boot device options". It is generally f9 for the HP laptops.
Here you will find all the booting devices available on your system. Now change the boot order. Move Ubuntu to the top.

Alternatively, you can also boot into Linux directly from Windows.
When you are in windows press and hold shift key + restart. You have to hold shift key till your laptop restarts.
Then go to use devices > select Ubuntu. And here is your Ubuntu!!!!

Last edited:
Windows update does not delete the Linux partition.
It overwrites the bootloader every time it updates itself.
So all you have to do is update the Grub loader to access your Linux partition again.
I would not be able to give you detailed steps as you have given very little information about your problem.

Back