Windows 7 Windows Update doesn't install updates

erget

Hello,

I'm having a problem with Windows Update. It's managed to install a few updates, bust most of the updates that it automatically finds fail to install (many important ones too - security updates, etc.). A bit frustrating. For the past couple of days, it tries to install the same two updates every time I turn off the computer. The process takes about 40 minutes. Then it shuts off without an error message. Afterwards, when I turn the computer on again, it doesn't say anything but there are once more two updates that need to be installed - the same ones. It's been quite frustrating. For now, I've got the updates turned off, so it won't try to install them any more, but that's only a workaround and no solution.

I think the problem might be connected with some other installations problems. I've tried to download the updates and install them manually, but it didn't work either; first it said that my virus scanner was interfering (I disconnected from the Internet, deactivated the virus scanner, and tried it again, which got a little bit further but not all the way). At the end I got a kind of dubious error message, which I sadly haven't written down, but it was similar to the ones that I got when I tried to install Microsoft Office and also was unable to get the installation to run through to the end. In both instances, the installation was almost done, after which I got a message that there was a problem with some assembly components, and then it undid the changes. This normally took more than an hour - 30 minutes for the installation to get to the point where it started over, an hour to get it to cancel itself. Haven't found a solution there, and that sucks, because I really need it. I've got a lot of files saved in OneNote format that I can't use and need for work.

The Office error messages led me to a couple of forums where it had worked out because people had updated their .NET framework. I can't do that because .NET is part of the OS framework in Windows 7, apparently. Then I read that some other people had just used Windows Update to update their OS, and then it worked. That's what led me to the discovery that my updates weren't working. I believe that that's got something to do with the problem. Funny thing is, I've installed some software, but there's the problem with Windows - I can't install it at all. Not sure what to do here. Can anybody please help? I need these files to work!

Windows Update lets me look at the update history. I've found that I get the error code 643 for the two updates that have repeated over the past two days again and again. For the other ones it's a little different; they tried to install once and didn't work. For those, I get following code: 80080005. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Daniel

Just tried to install Office again after using Windows Install Clean Up to remove any entries made for Office. Had the same problem. The bar moved almost all the way to the end and then the message came up:

"Fehler 1935.Fehler beim Installieren der Assemblykomponente '{97F81AF1-0E47-DC99-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E}'. HRESULT: 0x800736FD.

Setupfehler. Rollback für die Änderungen wird ausgeführt..."

That's German. Translation:
"Error 1935.Error when installing the assembly components '{97F81AF1-0E47-DC99-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E}'. HRESULT: 0x800736FD.

Setup error. Changes are being rolled back..."

Perhaps that shines some light into this abyss of nonfunctionality.

Go to Conrail panel > Programs and Features and click View installed updates.

I have 10 updates

Drop Office from the equation altogether.

We need to find the root of the problem and that;s Windows Update.

Do you get a specific error message when they fail?

No... I actually don't get any error at all, unless I look for it, that's the strange thing. I've tried installing them by clicking on "Install Updates now," I've tried installing them by letting them download in the background and then shutting down, and nothing does the trick. They take an eternity to install and then nothing happens. When I check the history, though, I find out that there're a bunch of failed attempts to install it. I hadn't done that, though, if I hadn't noticed that it's trying to install the same updates again and again and again. For the moment, I've turned those ones off so that my computer shuts down in a normal timeframe.

-Daniel

PS: Thanks for the link. I've already stumbled on all of those entries, as far as I can tell.

- Install updates automatically, daily at 3:00 AM
- Prepare recommended updates like important updates
- Allow all users to install updates on this computer
- Prepare updates for Microsoft software and search for additional Microsoft software
- Show detailed messages when new Microsoft software is available

Alright, I was gone for a little while because I tried again to install them manually. Nada. After trying for a long time to publish the product information, I got the following:

"An error occured during the installation of assembly component {7B2B4EA5-1028-B7E6-A06B-D6B9ABF34537}.
HRESULT: 0x800736FD."

Drew, sounds like you've seen a really similar problem. The two updates that seem to be hanging the whole thing up are:

-Sicherheitsupdate für (Safety update for) Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)
-Update für (for) Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973688)

Should I still change the download settings and tell it to let me choose and download the updates?

-Daniel

My thinking that if you set your Windows Update to those settings, a upates are ready for download in the tray area,. may appear

Drew, are you experiencing a terrible slowdown or is it my hard drive?

I think it's a problem with the site againreghakr. I could not get on about 10 hours ago, for about three hours. It took me two or three refreshes to get here right now

Thanks for the answer. Now, I've already set them to not show any more, so I guess that's okay. Do you really think that it's not connected with the Office problem? If it's not, I'll open a new thread, I guess.

I just switched over from windows 7 beta to windows 7 Professional. It wasn't on there after I'd switched operating systems; it never managed to install on this operating system.

Back
Top Bottom