Windows 7 Windows update installations continue to fail

blacksaibot

Please look at this image first: WindowsUpdateFails.png

I am running Windows 7 64bit. I have 15 updates that continue to fail. YES, I KNOW THE IMAGE SHOWS "1" - that's because I wanted to see if could actually perform one SMALL update. They're just a bunch of Security Updates for MS Office programs. DO NOT tell me to download these updates manually. THAT IS NOT A SOLUTION to a problem that will continue on forever.
I clicked "Get help with this error" which brought me to the window's help as seen in the second half of the image. These errors have NOTHING to do with the problem I am having. I have searched google and NO solution helps me.

YES, I have disabled my antivirus program already and they still fail.
YES, I am logged in as the administrator and I have all the necessary privileges.
YES, I have used Windows' crappy troubleshooter.
YES, I used Window's crappy automatic "fixer" or whatever that junk is called.
About a week ago my computer was running EXTREMELY slowly and opening just about any program that was part of office was EXTREMELY laggy. I ran disk defrag, disk clean up, and I went through a bunch of services and start up programs that I didn't need and disabled them. This increased my computer's performance and MS Office no longer lags. Could the laggyness I experienced related?

One thing you may need to do is to shut your system down completely. There are some updates that require this action and may hold up future updates.

If it is only Office you are having problems with, you can try going to the Programs and Features and letting the Office install to repair itself. Maybe this will solve those problems.

Do you have the KB numbers for a few of the updates that are not installing?

Are the Office updates in question for the same version of Office that is on your machine? What version do you have & did you have another previously?

I take it other Updates are Successful, correct? This makes a big difference to what I may say further.

I don't want to give you a bunch of advice & suggestions that may not apply.

Cheers,
Drew

Yes I shut down completely. It acts as if it installs but when I turn my computer back on it says they all failed.

Yes these updates are for the version of office that I have.

Any other suggestions?

Do you have Office 2010? May I see a list of those which are failing, pls. And all other Updates succeed, right?

I think I know what to tell you but, pls, answer these questions 1st.

Thanks,
Drew

The only other thing I can suggest is to open the WindowsUpdate.log in the Windows folder and copy the last few days and paste into a notepad file. Then attach the file and zip if you can.

I usually like the entire file, but it can be fairly large. If you can't get it any other way, maybe right click the WindowsUpdate.log and select send to compressed file. Then attach that using the paperclip on the advanced reply window.

Do you have Office 2010? May I see a list of those which are failing, pls. And all other Updates succeed, right?

I think I know what to tell you but, pls, answer these questions 1st.

Thanks,
Drew

I am using Office 2007. Not Office 2010.
Here is my update history full of fails:

WindowsUpdateHistory.png

The only other thing I can suggest is to open the WindowsUpdate.log in the Windows folder and copy the last few days and paste into a notepad file. Then attach the file and zip if you can.

I usually like the entire file, but it can be fairly large. If you can't get it any other way, maybe right click the WindowsUpdate.log and select send to compressed file. Then attach that using the paperclip on the advanced reply window.

Attached the zip file

View attachment WindowsUpdate.log.zip

On the basis that you own the Office 2007 Install disc... dunno how much you'll like this recommendation but...

Earlier it was said, Repair Office via Programs & Features. I take it that changed nothing ergo...

Uninstall Office 2007.
Reboot.
Install Office 2007
Have Windows Updates to now try to add whatever Office updates it wants.

Cheers,
Drew

I ran dell's Pre-boot System Assessment (holding the Function [FN] key while the computer was off, and pressing the power button while simultaneously releasing the Function key). The following error was found:

• Error Code -142 | Msg: Error Code 2000-0142 | Msg: Hard Drive 0 - self test unsuccessful. Status: 79
I contacted dell support and they said the issues I've been having are due to my faulty hard drive. I couldn't even look at the properties when right-clicking on My Computer. It even said that dxdiag (in the run command) was not a valid win32 application.

Thanks for all your help.

Don't really know about the drive situation, but there was a message in your update log that seems a little strange to me.

On Jan 23, the earliest the log shows, the following message appeared and continued to appear through the entire log.

This computer is currently scheduled to install these updates on ‎Sunday, ‎January ‎29, ‎2012 at 3:00 AM:

Since you appear to be going the bad drive route, maybe it is related, but if you haven't changed your system, it would be interesting to see if the updates did install today....

Edit: I might be inclined to check the bios time against the system time....but I will check my updates and see if I show a similar message and report back if I do.

Last edited:
I still have the old hard drive; did not get the authorization from the head IT department yet to purchase a new one.

I will check the BIOS time against the system time. Thanks for keeping on it Saltgrass!!

Back