Windows 7 Windows Update Keeps checking For updates forever

SOLUTION! Tried the Microsoft Fixit Tool several times without success, but this fix took care of the problem.

1. Click Start
2. Type ‘cmd’ in the search bar.
3. Right click Command prompt and choose “Run as Administrator”
4. At the command prompt, type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command:
a. net stop wuauserv

b. net stop bits

c. net stop cryptsvc

DO NOT close the Command Prompt window.

(This will rename folders pertaining to Windows Update.)

5. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press Enter after each command:
a) ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 Catroot2.old

b) ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
If you get an "access denied" error message, type net stop wuauserv, press ENTER, and try again.

c) net start wuauserv

d) net start bits

e) net start cryptsvc

Close the Command Prompt window. Now run the Microsoft Fixit Tool for Windows Update.
It is here: How do I reset Windows Update components?

Reboot the machine, and go to Control Panel > System Security > Windows Update
Updates installed should read Never and Last Update Check should also read never
Do a manual Check for Updates. This will probably generate a long list of updates that need to be installed. Go ahead and installed them. Depending on the speed of your internet connection the check and installation might take some time.

I encountered this issue when performing a clean Windows 7 install (Home Premium). Windows update was doing its thing progressively updating the system then shortly after the SP1 update the Windows Update Agent tried to update itself.

I tried all of the above without success and also tried various Windows Fix-it tools without any success.

THIS IS WHAT WORKED FOR ME!!

A manual re-installation of the Windows Update Agent

I can't post a link as I'm a new member but just google How to update the Windows Update Agent to the latest version

(Don't use the fix-it tool in the pop-up, close that then scroll down to the link you need for your OS)

I don't know what is going on with wuaueng.dll, but that is one of the Windows Update utilities.

This is the type of thing Update Readiness tool is supposed to repair, but is may not be.

If you open the Window Update Dialog window, what does it show as far as updates. Are there important or optional available, and how many are set to install?

If you have not tried installing yourself, can you click on the important updates and then check some boxes, then go back and select "Install Updates"?

If, for some reason the wuaueng.dll service is not registered, you should be able to do that by opening an adminstrative command prompt and typing:
regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll

Don't know if this will help, but maybe. Perhaps it will issue some type of error that might help.
This did the trick for me. Thanks

The reason of your windows update keep checking forever and even if you left a week still running. The cause of it after you are update windows 7 SP1 your update will stuck forever even left many day . Here the solution
1. Download .Netframe 4.0 and installed and restart your computer.
2. Download Hot Fix KB 3135445 ( google and type KB 3135445)
3. Pick your OS and download
4. Do not open and run it will search update forever.
5. Restart your computer and then open your hot fix KB 3135445 ( Where you save it)
6. Restart after installed hot fix KB 3135445
7. Open your windows update and it should be working and show 216 important update. etc....

Hi @romit I've been trying to follow your steps, as I'm having the same issue as other users regarding Windows Update searching for hours on end. However, I'm having trouble at the first step. I've downloaded Netframe 4.0 and begun to install, but getting hangups here as well. It says "All files were verified sucessfully (the first bar) but installation progress (second bar) sits at 0% indefinitely.

Any suggestions? I recently installed Windows 7 because of a new hard drive and really just need Windows Update to connect and proceed. Seems like such a simple and basic task, it's hard to believe I'm stuck. Thanks in advance.

Hi @PShortflip ! Welcome to the forum. Sadly here is not one fix all for this issue.
Always better to start your own thread as it my not get noticed.;)
This has been copied from @kemical. Have you tried this?
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Hi @PShortflip ! Welcome to the forum. Sadly here is not one fix all for this issue.
Always better to start your own thread as it my not get noticed.;)
This has been copied from @kemical. Have you tried this?
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Hi, thanks for your response. I will try to start new topics in new threads from now on. When I right click on Windows Start Menu logo, the only options I'm given are "Properties" or "Open Windows Explorer" Can open only regular CMD prompt, not administrative.

I have been tortured with this problem trying to install KB update virtual pc to run xp mode. Finally I was given a clue.

While searching for updates on this computer forever, as i watched and waited... I clicked on the KB file a second time and got an error message saying... nly one instance of search can run at a time.

This got me thinking that windows already searches on its own for updates. I had my computer set to notify me.

I went into auto update settings, changed to "Never Update". I rebooted, clicked on my KB file and bingo... it ran.

Hope this simple fix can help

Back