Windows Vista Windows Vista Login Screen gone

Wesdude

Recently, my PC with Windows Vista Home Premium completely lost the login screen. It was turned off for the night and the next day all it was was a black screen with no profiles to sign into.All I get it a black screen with the mouse on it.

I had a computer person come and try to fix it, and they were completely baffled for like 3 hours. Anyone have any ideas on how I can get into the computer? It just won't work because there's not login screen. ;(

did you try booting to safe mode??
hit f8 ket at bootup, choose safemode.
if you get in, go to device manager, uninstall the video or display driver.
reboot, windows will install driver correctly

did you try booting to safe mode??
hit f8 ket at bootup, choose safemode.
if you get in, go to device manager, uninstall the video or display driver.
reboot, windows will install driver correctly

Yeah I tried safemode, it ends up doing the exact same thing. No login comes up. ;(

I've also been having this problem, what happens is when I start my computer, I'll get the windows vista green progress bar, then instead of showing the glowing windows logo then taking me to the logon screen, I just get a black screen, and my monitor light flashes on and off. I have to restart my computer before getting the logon screen, then it's fine. Also, the problem seems to occur when I lock my computer and come back after a while the monitor will not display anything even though I try to resume using my mouse.

Same problem, all I get is a black window after the green animation screen and the mouse shows up but no login screen no matter how long I wait. Ive tried repairing the master boot but nothing seems to work. Any ideas? I may just switch back to XP im sick of Vista fragging out.

I had this same issue... here's what i did:
You have a black screen and can only see the mouse.
Move your mouse cursor over the center of the screen to the point where the login box would be if it was visible. You will see the cursor change to an edit cursor when you are above the invisible login textbox. Click the cursor there and type in your password. Click enter when finished.
You will now be logged in and you will see everything.

Basically the login controls are still there you just cannot see them.

Just bumping this because I'm also getting this problem. While you are able to blindly click and eventually manage to log on, this doesn't exactly fix the problem... it merely ignores it. Also, this problem doesn't seem to be only affecting the log in screen, various other Vista user interfaces don't seem to work such as the "Cancel or Allow" screen.

This is usually a driver problem.Try this:
If anyone in the posts above, can get into the desktop, then open The Device manager and roll back the last installed drivers or, should it be the case, uninstall any very recently added hardware.

I would try that, but when I try to run Device Manager it brings up a cancel or allow screen... and it's all black so I can't see the allow button.

Perhaps we can repair it via the cmd prompt in the installer disk?

I've been at it all night since my pc has developed this issue, it would appear that either the registry, or textures are FOULED up, i really don't like Vista, so i'd say both.

I know the boot-loader can be repaired via the repair cmd prompt, so im figuring we can trigger something to copy/re-install the textures, or use the Vista-PE disk (that dang disk microsoft made to fix Vista), and try and execute REGedit from it and check the registry, since unfortunately, the installer disk's regedit, only reads the install disk..

Just some ideas for yas, im still at it, if i figure it out, i'll be back.........

FWIW. The last posting is three months old. I think maybe the OP has solved the problem or reinstalled.

Well, the Official Microsoft word is that the transaction NTFS system gets corrupted, a SINGLE 12 kb. file!

As of this posting, i have decided to begin migration AWAY from Vista, the ONLY possible repair according to them is a total re-install, supposedly SP1 repairs this, but i lost any faith i'd had in microsoft in Feb. 07' when Vista was released.

I'd recommend burning a Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron or the most recent Ubuntu release, boot it, and use it to rescue the important data by dumping it to an external drive, then re-installing.

Well, im going to await the arrival of an external drive, and soon have at least 50% Linux OS in this house....

Back
Top Bottom