Windows Vista Windows Vista Registry PC Username + Hostname

safehaven

Could anyone please help me find the registry key locations for the PC username, and the PC hostname on Windows Vista?

I could NOT find anything on Vista.

Thanks so much in advance.

What is your purpose for finding these locations?

There is no such thing as "PC username", I believe you are referring to the Windows User Logon. Or "WINDOWS USERNAME". The "PC HOSTNAME" or "HOSTNAME" can be found in many locations by searching for that term in REGEDIT.EXE. The "WINDOWS USERNAME" can be found at "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{%}" , and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{%}" , among other places. The PC HOSTNAME can also be found in numerous places such as "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Tcpip\Parameters". Also be aware that the "HOSTNAME" is a networking function for both Netbios and Tcpip and identifies devices on a local area network or Homegroup. The "WINDOWS USERNAME", also known as the Windows logon, is used more by software apps, and not by the Windows networking components. This parameter is often passed to newly installed programs on your computer as a "Default" name to be used by the software program. Many folks skip product registration, so this parameter is pulled out of the Registry by companies looking to personalize your experience with their app; and thus give it the same name you use to logon to your Windows computer. If you do not change it when you first install it, if it's free software, they will usually let you change it after the fact; most paid for or fee-based software such as MS Office, does not let you change the name licensed to the program after the initial install.

Hope this proves helpful.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back