Windows 7 Windows wont recognize my SD card, more than once

jarna

Soo..

just build a new computer, its running windows 7 x64 business.. and whenever i use my sd card reader it wont work unless i change the drive letter.. OR I've booted the computer with the SD card already in the reader .

I've tried multiple readers all known to be working, and multiple cards.

what happens is when i place the card in the reader (without changing the drive letter) drive shows activity, and the drive will become visible, but never show the card, instead it registers it as a RAW card needing format..

If I go and change the drive letter and insert the card, it then works, once.. if i take it out and put it back in, no luck goes back to recognizing it as a RAW card.

help?

When you take the card out, is it just the card or the entire reader device?

When you remove the card, do you do a safe removal?

So to clarify the card reader stays in the computer, and is connected directly to the motherboard.

So, I will assume the card reader is plugged into a USB port on the motherboard. You did not answer the question about how you remove the cards, but if you eject them using the safe eject, it might disable the USB port, until after a reboot.

If that is happening, you may be able to see something in Device Manager if you expand the USB entry or maybe a Mass Storage type entry. I seem to remember seeing a Reset on one of my USB ports, and if you show that, possibly in properties, it might help.

There may be other settings for the device as to power management or something else you could try.

You might also use the Scan for devices in Device Manager to see if it can find the device when it shows off line.

And, of course make sure you have any drivers necessary for the reader, and maybe change the motherboard connection to another port. I know my board has a couple available.

Do you have any card readers in something like a printer, for example?

Sorry, yes I do use the safely remove feature when its available (however it will not always show)

I have tried the various USB ports on the motherboard still no difference.

As to the device no longer being recognized the card reader shows up in the device manager, both under the disk drive, as well as the WPM (windows portable media) section, the most up to date drivers are installed..

Is it possible that this is some sort of weird IRQ conflict? being that once I re-assign a drive letter to the reader it works momentarily. ?

Never use 'Safely remove' for cards. The proper way is 'Eject'.
Learn something new everyday, even at 3AM (in my parts). I had always thought that a digital camera card was supposed to be "safely removed" like a USB Flash Drive.

Thanks for the tip!

Cat

Back
Top Bottom