Windows 8 Windows8.1 unable to log in

1. Try to login using the onscreen keyboard instead.
remote keyboard.png

Hi Nicksta,
do you have the actual Windows installation disk? Or do you have a friend running 8.1 who could create a rescue disk for you? If so try booting from the dsik and instead of installing choose the repair option.

Hi Nicksta,
do you have the actual Windows installation disk? Or do you have a friend running 8.1 who could create a rescue disk for you? If so try booting from the dsik and instead of installing choose the repair option.
I have a windows 7 pc. Is there a way I can download a recovery file put it on a disk or usb and use it on the unworkable pc. And if yes whare would I get that.

A bit of googling found this:
Removed.

Apologies. I thought i'd try the download and see if it was legit... It wasn't. I'll keep looking.

Last edited:
It should not take that long for it to complete the boot. That might be one indication of a problem.

Have you done anything to modify the log in process? I am not used to seeing the lock screen you show, but it may be normal for you.

If the onscreen keyboard will not start, perhaps a virus or some type of corruption is involved. When you selected the onscreen keyboard, did the computer say anything? It appears you are typing on a layer which sits over the password box. Almost like something is intentionally blocking it.

You might try removing the password requirement from the boot, just for testing. There really is no reason I can think of where it would cause a problem, but something to check anyway.

If you could get into Safe Mode, you would probably be able to enter your password. It sounds like you don't have any recovery media, are there any Factory specific keys available for starting the system in another mode or allowing you to enter the recovery environment?

Edit: I should also add, if that system has a webcam, be careful until you know more.
Edit 2 :): Are you using any type of password manager?

Last edited:
1. The network isn’t working correctly & would add some lag to the boot process… that will explain some of the long boot time but isn’t interfering with the password.

2. I think Saltglass has hit the nail with the bios password settings… remove the password for now, and am I seeing you use a wireless mouse (if so then) remove it and use the touch pad.

p.s. that computer keeps cool by sucking air up from the bottom so running it on a bed like that is a great way to cook the cpu… invest $12 in a stable-table or even a tray (i.e. anything that allows the air to get under it) and the computer will last you twice as long.

Back