Windows 8 Winrar extract the file I choose to open but open some other file

Carox

Hello,
I recently bought a sony waio, windows 8 last December. I installed winrar 4.2 64bit. But whenever I open any zipped folder and chose to open a specific file, winrar would extract out that file. Then, instead of opening that file, it would open any random file from the folder in which the zipped folder exists (i.e. it would open any file outside the zipped folder).
I have tried re-installing. I have also tried running the program into Vista and windows 7 compatibility mode but none helps.
System configuration:
Model No : Sony Vaio SVS15125CNB
Operating System Windows 8 64 bit
Intel Core i5-3210M Processor 2.50 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz
RAM 4 GB DDR3
Graphics Accelerator NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M LE GPU(SPEED MODE) / Intel HD Graphics 4000(STAMINA MODE)
Dedicated Video Memory 2 GB DDR3 (SPEED MODE)
Display - Type 15.5 (39.37 cms) wide (Full HD: 1920 x 1080) TFT colour display (VAIO Display Plus, LED backlight)
Please help....
Thanks

Possible solution but,

". Then, instead of opening that file, it would open any random file from the folder in which the zipped folder exists (i.e. it would open any file outside the zipped folder)"

Don't think I'm with you on that one. " Any random folder from the folder" ... "i.e. it would open any file outside the zipped folder" ??

Perhaps this is a conflict issue with the built in Zip Folder handler in windows and WinRAR. Try these steps:

1) Uninstall WinRAR
2) Reboot
3) Run a Command Prompt as Administrator
4) Issue the following commands, one line after another:
Code:
regsvr32 /u %systemroot%\system32\zipfldr.dll
regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\zipfldr.dll
cmd /c assoc .zip=CompressedFolder
5) Reboot
6) Reinstall WinRAR, and at the first run, run it as Administrator and go to its Options and choose your file associations as you wish.
7) Is problem resolved?

P.S. I still prefer 7-Zip over WinRAR!

May I ask, "Can Windows unzip a zipped folder or do you need a program like 7-Zip to do so. I also noticed at 7 - Zip, it covers OS's up to Win 7 and I have 8.
Thank you

7-Zip works fine on Windows 8 (non RT of course). The built in unzip functionality you can find by right clicking a zip file etc does support zipped folders.

Back