Windows 7 Wired Gigabit Ethernet - Unidentified Network/no valid IP configuration

RogerCA

Hi All,

New member here. I believe these issues have been discussed before, but it appears my problem is different (slightly...). I've read most, if not all, the previous threads as well as some others, but I'm still at a loss. Here's what happened:
Installed new wired Gigabit adapter D-Link DGE-530T) a few days ago. Ever since, that connection shows as Unidentified Network' in NW and Sharing Ctr. Even though I've changed permissions in Local GPO to allow users to change NW location etc, I can still not do so. When I run the Troubleshooter I end up with the 'invalid IP config' diagnosis - even though ipconfig sometimes lists it with a valid DHCP config obtained from the router (D-Link DIR-655).
Wireless connects just fine, and there is no problem when I switch to my onboard NVIDIA adapter (10/100 only - I'd prefer to just disable that one in the BIOS).
Have done pretty much all of the methods suggested in previous posts (ipconfig /release/renew, deleted routeing table, flushed DNS cache, etc. Also removed 'phantom' adapters in Device Manager, reset and reconfigured router removed/reinstalled NIC, even replaced it with aanother one (same model). Nothing seems to get this thing to work. Am I missing something here, or what am I doing wrong? :confused: Any advice?

Thanks!

Interesting, one would think that a Dlink card should work with a Dlink router but I couldn't help but notice that when I go here and examine the "Works With" tab, your router is not listed. So if we can assume for a minute that perhaps the card is not receiving proper or complete DHCP information from the router and if we can assume that there is no physical damage to the card or card port, or the switch port on the router, or the cable that you are using to connect the two. Then let's try to manually set the speed and duplex for the card on the off chance that it is unable to successfully auto-negotiate those settings when attempting to communicate with the router
type
device manager
into the search box and hit enter
expand network adapters
select the problem NIC, right click and choose properties
Select the "Advanced Tab" near the top of the resultant dialog box and then
In the left "Property" column select
Speed & Duplex
In the right "Value:" column use the drop down arrow to change to 10Mbps / Half Duplex
OK your way back out of there and reboot the computer.
Let us know if that helps at all.

Thanks for the advice, Trouble. I'm afraid it didn't work. BTW- I also changed the NIC to a different DGE-530T without luck. Checked CAT6 cables - they're fine, and runs are no more than about 12 feet. I can't even think of all the other things I tried that were suggested in the forums. Still can't rename the network.

Have also posted a message in the D-Link Forums, since I read somewhere else that the DGE-530T does not actually work on Win7 x64. Interestingly enough I found that the DIR-655 had a firmware upgrade (the web management page never showed that, when I asked to 'check now'... Installed the upgrade but the problem's still there. I'm thinking of connecting all the machines and the media server through a Gigabit switch into the router - all I'm trying to do here is to get the fastest transfer speeds for backup, media streaming etc. on the local network, since the modem is the limiting factor for internet speeds.

We'll see...

Sorry that didn't help but it was worth a try, since sometimes (usually as a result of poorly written drivers or outdated firmware) we've seen some problems with some Gig cards when left to autonegotiate speed and duplex.
One other thing you might want to try which has reportedly seemed to have helped some people,
again look at the advanced tab of the properties of the problem NIC for "Network Address", if the "Value" is set to not present, try plugging in the actual "Physical Address" (MAC address) of the card. You can determine what it is by doing an ipconfig /all and looking for the "Physical Address" you should see a hex value with 12 digits seperated by hyphens (-) copy and paste that into notepad, remove the hypens so there are only 12 characters remaining and then copy and paste that into the "Value" box and reboot. Don't no why but it seems to have help in some similar issues in the past, again worth a try and easily reverseable by just returning the value to "Not Present".
Also just to push forward the diagnostic process, disable all other NICs (wired and wireless) in device manager or the Network Control Panel Applet (ncpa.cpl) and also try disabling at least for the time being IPv6 for the problem adapater. And with only the problem adapter enabled try again a ipconfig /release and /renew and see what you get for the DHCP addressing scheme, if anything is missing or erroneous (Default Gateway and or DNS server addresses) try assigning appropriate static values and see if that helps at all.

Thanks again for the advice, Trouble. I'm afraid that didn't work, either. Here's a rundown of what I have tried so far:
swapped out adapters (I had bought 2) and cables,
rebooted (and even reset) router several times,
uninstall/reinstall adapter several times,
multiple ipconfig /release/renew; flush DNS Cache, delete Routing Table, reset TCP/IP and winsock,
change settings to Static IP,
changed adapter speed/duplex settings,
disabled firewall and AV software,
tried direct connection to DSL modem (with same results)

There was no problem whenever I reconnected to the onboard NIC (NVIDIA 10/100). The new network was recognized and I had full access right away...

The only reason for me to get a Gigabit card was to get the best possible transfer speeds for backups or restores from the NAS (which is also Gigabit), to be able to restore from the remote NAS, since most of the backup software doesn't work for restores over wireless.

Any suggestions for hardware that might actually work for me?

Sorry - haven't been on for a couple days as I had to do a bit of cleanup and reinstall from a previous image. Somehow I managed to mess up something in the process of trying to get this thing to work. Not sure what, but the machine wouldn't start up.

Given that I've tried just about everything to get the adapter to work, and given that I have also read some comments mentioning that it does not work in Win 7 x64 with 4GB RAM (which is exactly what I have). I'll take it back for a refund.

Any suggestions for hardware that might actually work for me? Thanks again for all your help!

Have you tried updating the driver for your NIC, I haven"t seen that mentioned in any of the threads here?

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Sure did - I usually check for updated srivers when I install new hardware. I knew I'd left out some of the options that I tried... Also tried the generic Marvell drivers which, incidentally, are newer than those on the D-Link website. That didn't work, either.
At this point I'm just not going to waste any more time on something I may r may not be able to get to work...

[langtitle=nl]Re: Wired Gigabit Ethernet - Unidentified Network/no valid IP configuration[/langtitle]

:eek:[lang=nl] Hallo RogerCA

Het probleem ligt bij je lan, want ik heb namelijk hetzelfde probleem en vele met ons.
Heb hiervoor ook heel het internet af moeten zoeken, maar weet nu waar het aan ligt.
Win 7 64 bit heeft het probleem voor sommige van ons dat je totaal geen internet connectie krijgt met 1 of meerde van het volgende o.a.
Mobo : Asus P5NSLI
Marvell Yukon
4 gig Ram
Realtek driver
Nvidia
Heb zelf ook Vista 32 bit die werkt echt prima en snel, op 2 de schijf Win 7 64 bit en die werkt ook goed heb alleen geen internet.
Vele drivers geüpdatet de LB kast gereset maar jammer genoeg nog steeds geen verbinding.
Hier een link waar je het een en ander er over kan lezen.
[url=http://cdonner.com/windows-7-on-asus-p5nsli.htm[/URL]]Klik Hier[/url}

Goedkope oplossing:
2 gig ram eruit of,
Nieuwe PCI kaart (€15.00)en je onboard off zetten[/lang]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back