Windows 7 Wireless connection problem

lonzyg

Hi,
New to the forum. Got a question about wireless connection. I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 I installed Windows 7 on and everything seems to work but the wireless. It says limited connection with no internet connection. It says to check my router, but I am currently running Windows 7 RC on another Dell Inspiron that I am browsing fine on, same router (well wireless access point) What should I begin looking for the problem if the access point is working for two other computers?
Thanks,
Lonzy

I know this is an older computer, but I thought I would try it anyway.

hey lonz...you can first make sure your wireless service is on. Go to run and type in services.....Once in services make sure WLAN is set to automatic. If thats the way its set now...then stop and restart service. Please repost with results

Tried it

I tried that but still not working. It finds my wireless access point but will not obtain in IP. Problem solve wizard says it does not have a valid IP configuration. However, I have one laptop with Vista and one with the same version Windows 7 RC that are connectted to this access point. "Wireless Network Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration. is what I keep getting. I have uninstalled my wireless card and reinstalled. Updated drivers for it. Even back dated driver to eariler version that it worked with before. When XP Pro was on it. I guess I may have to reinstall XP Pro if I don't figure it out in a day or two. Thanks for any suggests.

Check whether the 'DHCP client' service is running (started). Rt-click 'Computer' icon/Manage/Services.

Entering a static IP address would also prove whether the DHCP function was the problem.

You can also check to see what if any security has been enabled on the access point. If MAC address security has been enabled, and you have not added the MAC address of the device you're trying to connect with to the access point/router - you will not get an IP address, even if you have the correct wep/wpa/etc. password and can connect to it.

In addition you can try disabling IPv6 in the properties of the network card (or wireless card) you're trying to connect with.

You can also check to see what if any security has been enabled on the access point. If MAC address security has been enabled, and you have not added the MAC address of the device you're trying to connect with to the access point/router - you will not get an IP address, even if you have the correct wep/wpa/etc. password and can connect to it.

In addition you can try disabling IPv6 in the properties of the network card (or wireless card) you're trying to connect with.
Good point.

Tried all suggests already. Static IP, MAC has been disabled ( thought it was a problem that was keeping someone else from get on, it ended up being their computers had a DNS already set), I turned off the PvIP6, and the only thing I can figure is that maybe there is a problem with the drivers working with Windows 7. Thanks everyone, I guess it just means that this laptop will have to be reload with XP Pro (who can complain with XP Pro anyway) I am already using Windows 7 on my other laptop. Thanks again.
Lonzy

Back
Top Bottom