Windows 7 wireless internet issue

chrisharbin

Hi,

this one is kinda strange, so bare with me.....

When I boot to windows 7 build 7100 32 bit, it doesn't connect to the internet properly straight away.......

I have an airlink 3026. My other specs are:

abit ip 35-e
4 gb ram
core2duo 2.66ghz
ati radeon 2400 with 256mb ram

So to describe, when I boot it usually doesn't sych right off. If I play around with the connections, sometimes the service (my internet service) is there, sometimes not. It goes on and off repeatedly and if I hit "connect" it will tell me it cannot......in which there are options of course, which never work.

Frequently, If I can "disconnect" (yes, it is a weird thing) and then reconnect, it usually works. The thing is, that when booting, of course it tries to connect, which looks good for a couple of seconds, then it's off, then it's on, then it's off......well, hopefully you get the idea.

I always manage to get a connection, so it's not a biggy, but then again I'm' guessing this is not a preferred behavior;)

Anyways, let me know if you need mo' info.....I realize it's first post and all.......

I struggled with this issue on every build after 7000 until 7100 when I finally swapped my USB adapter with another computer in the house and there was no further problem, so you need to be creative and do the research until you get a fix.

Check your adapter driver. If Windows Update has already delivered one, roll it back to see if there is a difference. You can reinstate it by choosing Auto Install and it will resinstall it as the latest given driver.

Next check your computer and/or device manufacturer for other drivers for your adapter. You are looking for the Vista driver (unless Win7 offered already, but unlikely) so see if that is what you've got and if not install it. Or if you have Vista driver and an XP driver is available, try that. Then try reinstalling it in Compatibility Mode (on Properties tab) to XP.

Next check the firmware for your router. If you've still got tech support have them help you. It is risky to update otherwise. Sometimes there is 3rd party software for router which will work whereas the router's won't; educate yourself so you know what you are doing. There might also be better settings for your router, another channel, or security issues. The router or adapter might not work with Win7 yet, period.

Finally, try other forums. I just posted a problem on Neowin Win7 beta forum and had my fix within a minute.

Last edited:
I appreciate the response.

It's a weird one :lol: Once I get past that initial startup, works like it should........very strange

to add to the weirdness, now that I'm on "windows 7 basic" and not aero, it's starting up almost the first time.......very odd.......has to be a reason why!

Last edited:
How did you switch to Basic? If you reinstalled an chose Basic then it might not be receiving updates (that was the case in every beta build). Does it activate? The reason I ask is that if it is installed as Basic and Ultimate continues to be the only build activated and supported (updates) by MS then you might not have gotten a bad driver via updates. All I have to go on is that 7100 installed on my machines in Ultimate with no other option. I know there is a way to jimmy it to install Basic, although when I tried it on a previous build I got no activation or updates.

How did you switch to Basic? If you reinstalled an chose Basic then it might not be receiving updates (that was the case in every beta build). Does it activate? The reason I ask is that if it is installed as Basic and Ultimate continues to be the only build activated and supported (updates) by MS then you might not have gotten a bad driver via updates. All I have to go on is that 7100 installed on my machines in Ultimate with no other option. I know there is a way to jimmy it to install Basic, although when I tried it on a previous build I got no activation or updates.

You'll forgive that my terminology isn't so good!

What I mean by "basic" is the windows 7 basic theme..........sorry about that. Why that helped, is beyond me !

Now, it's simply taking a few seconds to try and catch my IP , getting it to disconnect, then just hit connect and it's fine.

So this is still an issue

When I boot to windows 7, the internet flashes on/off and I usually have to go through series of clicking on the connection graphic, trying to "connect", failing a couple of times, then hitting "connect" and it might pass.

The biggest factor is that EVERY TIME it's a matter of "finding" my internet connection (like there might be 5 or 6 available connections, and mine is sometimes there, sometimes not AT FIRST)

As a matter of fact, it's usually will connect straight away, only to fail back and fourth a couple of times.

I realize this is repetitive symptoms on my behalf but I want to keep describing it as maybe something will "click" with someone as a problem.

Back
Top Bottom