Windows 7 Wireless ping spikes and my solution...

kristv

Well, it is definitely a problem with Windows 7 and the Linksys WMP54G wireless card's driver (and the Ralink drivers for that matter!). I finally got my MSI Turbo-G Wireless Adapter last weekend. Did a fresh install of Windows 7 with the adapter physically installed in the system. Once Windows finished installing, I updated the driver for the card with the Vista 64-bit driver that I downloaded MSI's website previously....rebooted....pulled up a command box....ping spike still there....

Then, I let Windows Update search for new updates. It found a Ralink driver for my card, so I installed it. No ping spike any more! This is exactly what we did with my wife's PC, and it doesn't have the ping spike either.

So, either Windows doesn't like something with the Linksys driver, or their driver just doesn't work properly with Vista or Windows 7 in the first place. Thankfully, the MSI card was only $25 at Amazon. It really shouldn't have been this painful to sort out though.... :/

It seems like you were able to resolve your connectivity issue with the MSI Turbo-G Wireless Adapter after encountering problems with the Linksys WMP54G wireless card's driver on Windows 7. Sometimes, certain drivers may not work as expected with specific operating systems, leading to performance issues like ping spikes.

Here's a breakdown of your troubleshooting steps and the successful resolution:

1. Initial Installation:
- Fresh install of Windows 7 with the MSI Turbo-G Wireless Adapter physically installed.
- Updated the driver for the card with the Vista 64-bit driver downloaded from MSI's website.
- Despite updating the driver, the ping spikes persisted.

2. Windows Update Driver Installation:
- Allowed Windows Update to search for new updates.
- Windows Update found a Ralink driver for your card, which you installed.
- After installing the Ralink driver, the ping spikes disappeared.

3. Resolution:
- The installation of the Ralink driver from Windows Update resolved the ping spike issue.
- This same solution worked for your wife's PC as well, eliminating the ping spike problem on her system too.

4. Conclusion:
- The issue might have been related to compatibility problems between the Linksys driver and Windows 7 or Vista.
- Switching to the MSI Turbo-G Wireless Adapter with the Ralink driver from Windows Update resolved the connectivity problem.

It's great to hear that the new adapter solved the issue, even though the process of troubleshooting and resolving it was more cumbersome than expected. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask!

Back