Windows 10 Woke up yesterday with a constant download rate of 40-50KB/s

spook84

Extraordinary Member
I posted this on Link Removed yesterday and just trying to get all the eyes on this as much as possible.

I went as far a reformatting Windows 10 x64 1803 build (different drive and fully updated) and still drawing a constant download rate. I've tried to block all net activity with Killer networking CC and its still downloading a phantom file. It is using up my space/storage with no luck in fixing the issue. Process Explorer hasn't shined any light on the subject, unfortunately. Im open to any input to resolve this.

at on point all spare drives and my NAS was disconnected/shutdown to eliminate the possibility of it being a virus/malware.

Solution
Sounds like an issue with your isp. I'd be giving them a call and rule that out first.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
What evidence do you have that the system is downloading something? Also post the make/model of your computer the NIC specs and the driver you have installed for it.

Are you running some kind of third party firewall software, proxy or traffic shaper?
Are you using hyper-v at all (virtual machines)?

Sounds like an issue with your isp. I'd be giving them a call and rule that out first.

Solution
What evidence do you have that the system is downloading something? Also post the make/model of your computer the NIC specs and the driver you have installed for it.

Are you running some kind of third party firewall software, proxy or traffic shaper?
Are you using hyper-v at all (virtual machines)?

Fresh install like I mentioned and Vanilla Win 10 x64 1803 build. I literally reformatted the HD since posting this and didnt install ANY drivers or programs and when I was able to get into Win I checked the resource monitor and was still pulling dl. Still doing it EVEN after all updates are installed. I linked the Reddit post in the original post on this forum.
fH1uoeC.webpScreenshot (1)_LI.webpScreenshot (2)_LI.webpScreenshot (4)_LI.webp

I was thinking the same I was going to try factory resetting the router and trying a different router before I call them. Just going this route first to rule out it is Win 10.

If you have another device, even a phone you can do a speed test from that and rule out or point the blame at the router or ISP.

Make sure you have the latest Killer CC and Killer nic driver as well.

If you have another device, even a phone you can do a speed test from that and rule out or point the blame at the router or ISP.

Make sure you have the latest Killer CC and Killer nic driver as well.

Latest Killer network CC and driver installed or not didn't make any difference. Already tried that before I reformated today. Dont see how a speed test will affect the dl rate when its in KB not MB. (150/150 Mbps connection - google fiber speed test already ran last night and today)

edit: for laughs, I ran it again. have someone on their PS4 and another person in the house rn using net so not the FULL connection speed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-09-30 Screenshot.webp
    Screenshot_2018-09-30 Screenshot.webp
    13.3 KB · Views: 167
I see in your screenshots a difference between between the actual network load and the throughput of your gigabit ethernet controller. Your real network load is low and quite normal.
….. I ran it again. have someone on their PS4 and another person in the house rn using net so not the FULL connection speed.
Is not that other person causing this? Can't you ask him to stop for a moment to see what happens?

Is not that other person causing this? Can't you ask him to stop for a moment to see what happens?

it's not that different than that screenshot I took. I was roughly the same when everyone was sleeping last night. It shot up higher when I ran the test a while ago but leveled off at that. It was 150 last night.

Look in the window of the Windows Resource Monitor in the righthand column with CPU / Disk / Network / Memory, it show a very moderate network load, it is quite normal.
Than look in the window of the Task Manager and the Internet load is very large. My thought was that this was caused by an external source, because your system does not ask that much, hence maybe that other person.
Therefore I suggested to ask him to stop for a moment. If the load in the Task Manager goes down you know what is causing the high rates in the rest of the day.

Hope this helps

Someone on another machine on the network won't affect anything in task manager as it only shows the local interfaces usage.

And that is exactly what we see, task manager normal load, but the WiFi device overloaded

Back