Windows 8 Wondering about 8.1 Pro Full Retail or OEM versions.

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Looking at the pricing on Newegg for the two versions of 8.1 Pro, I have to wonder why the full version gives you the 64 and 32 bit versions but at a cost of $199, while the OEM 64 bit version is $139. No extra license included in the Retail version, just another $10 CD?

I am assuming the 8.1 EULA has not restricted the OEM versions and still allows for changing computers, so if you did not need the 32 bit version of Windows 8.1 Pro, is there a reason to purchase the full version? Such as, does the Retail version have more install or repair options than the OEM version?

Is there a difference in the way the two versions are installed, as far as the licensing? Any Special procedures for the OEM version?

Thanks.

Does this article clarify your query?
I am still a little foggy after reading it.
http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-oem-media

This is the part I don't understand.......( quote )
the Windows 8.1 OEM editions are the Full version of the product and are designed to be installed on a single new PC only.
Unlike the retail media, you cannot use OEM media to upgrade an existing version of Windows to Windows 8.1.................end quote.

So, can I use the OEM media to do a clean install on my Win 7 ?

Last edited:
The Quote from the link says the OEM is for a single New PC only. Since all versions (except multi-licensed) are for a single PC, does the "New" part signify anything the Retail license does not? The Windows 8 OEM EULA states the license can be moved to another machine, which is the change from prior OEM licenses to which I refer.

They say both versions get a license key, so still not seeing any difference, unless the key is handled in a different manner than the retail version.

The fact is says you cannot use the OEM to upgrade a previous version seems to be relevant, but I always do clean installs so it may not be.

From logical point of view, the price for the License is +$50, for the Retail, above the OEM. Finding something to justify that extra cost would ease my concerns. (the $ numbers I am using are just wags, so they don't have to be precise)

Thanks for the response.

Full version. As with previous Windows versions, the Windows 8.1 OEM editions are the Full version of the product and are designed to be installed on a single new PC only. Unlike the retail media, you cannot use OEM media to upgrade an existing version of Windows to Windows 8.1.

I have decided not to purchase anything right now. I will wait until next year and see if I like Windows 8.2.. ;)

Hey My Fellow Windows-ers,

Note to all y'all looking move up with the times, but hesitant to spend big money on Windows 8 in the store - I just had a great experience finally getting my hands on an official copy of Windows 8.1 and a working key. Unlike I have done in the past, I did not want to buy a physical copy of Windows 8, or pay a ridiculous amount of money to get 8 in the first place.

My brand new laptop came with Windows 8, not the pro version and I wanted to throw an SSD drive in and do a fresh install to remove all the excess stuff that the HP factory added on the computer.

I did a lot of research trying to find the best deal on a legit Windows 8.1 key and didn't want it to be sketchy like a lot of sellers are. Anyway, long story short, I have the Windows 8.1 disc from a friend and just needed a key. I was close to just doing what I have done in the past and buy the disc retail with a key, but they are close to $200. Costco has the Key cards for around $100, and I found that to be the best retail deal, but I didn't want to spend that much.

I researched for a day or so and found this great certified site selling Windows 8, 8.1 and Office Keys for less that half that. I ended up spending 60 bucks on Windows 8.1 because I opted for the ISO download as well. It couldn't have been easier. Your official key and download links shoot to your email incredibly fast. Mine was there in about an hour. If you need them in bulk, they give discounts as well!

Anybody looking for a truly amazing deal on Windows 8, 8.1 or even older versions like 7 and programs like Office and more - your search is over! Plus after playing with Windows 8.1...I don't know how I can ever go back! Hope I helped some of y'all!

Head over to - www.go2keys.com

Thank me later!

Kevan

Back