Windows 8 Wondering what might have changed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Just attempted to install Windows 8 Release Preview on my old beater laptop and got a surprise.
This is the same laptop that is already running the Windows 8 Consumer Preview and had ran the Windows 8 Developers Preview.
"This PC can't run Windows 8"
"See below if you're inerested in finding out why"
"Your PC's CPU isn't compatible with Windows 8."
View system requirements

Attachments

• RPsetup.JPG
    RPsetup.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 784
Wow. That's a shock! Not teaching you to such eggs but? Perhaps your memory fails? Did you possibly have the 32Bit on, and are now trying to install 64 bit, which your laptop doesn't have??

Wow. That's a shock! Not teaching you to such eggs but? Perhaps your memory fails? Did you possibly have the 32Bit on, and are now trying to install 64 bit, which your laptop doesn't have??

Thanks Dave, you've now joined my wife and a huge amount of others who have some questions about the viability of my memory.
But no, I actually downloaded the 32 bit version twice when the problem occurred the first time with the one from TechNet, I decided just in case to grab the 32 bit version from the Public Release. I also have another source through Microsoft Connect for a 32 bit download but if they are that messed up then I think I will hold off and revisit the issue later.
The 64 bit version installed without a single isses (except for skype acting stupid again) on my main computer so at least there's that.

Found this on Technet, Trouble??
Enter the bios settings and find the item "EXECUTE BIT" and enable it. This will take care of the CPU problem

Got me excited there Dave.
And thank you for taking the time and making the effort to research that for me.
However; this is an old HP Pavillion zv5000 laptop and the BIOS is minimal at best. Looked through the few items that it has and nothing regarding EXECUTE BIT or anything similar.
Again, much appreciated.
It's running the 32 bit version of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview just fine and that is good until 1/15/2013. So I guess we'll see what the RTM has in store or put it back to 7 which was just fine.
Regards
Randy

Back
Top Bottom