Windows 7 xp mode in win 7-64 bit

auditorp

i have a client base of 1500+ clients using my 'clipper' based program.
virtually every client of mine is upgrading their system to win7-64 bit.
my software runs on 32-bit system only. (it runs under win7-32 bit-but not under 64 bit)

i came to know a XP mode can be installed in a win7-64 bit system in a virtual mode.

please, can someone guide me which files to download (please provide links-other than the micsosoft links)
also, after downloading, would someone guide me step-by-step the routine to set up the xp mode.

to few experts, my query may be 'oh-no!-one-more-query-on-xp-mode-in-64-bit'
so try to suppress your irritation & help me out-like you have helped out others before.

thank you (atleast 64 times)

I'm not so sure your application will not run natively in Windows. Windows 7 64-bit will run 32-bit applications as well as 64-bit. Windows 7 64-bit will emulate a 32-bit environment for all 32-bit application. This is no different from Windows 7 32-bit emulating a 16-bit environment for ancient 16-bit applications (better know as Windows 3.1 apps).

There is practically only three reasons to install XP Mode:
  1. For installing hardware within Windows 64-bit that requires 32-bit support.
  2. For 16-bit applications which no longer have a 16-bit emulation mode within Windows 64-bit.
  3. And then you have testing purposes which will keep your main OS clean of software installations trashing the OS.

I'm honestly lost as to why you would think a 32-bit application will not run under Windows 7 64-bit. This is not to mention that in order for you to run XP Mode, you would need Windows 7 Professional or greater. Then the hardship of explaining to everyone under your work force, how to use Virtual PC to load their applications. Sure it's not difficult, but then there are those who don't learn quickly at all.

Edit:
After re-reading your query, I'm under the impression that you may actually have a 16-bit application. How old is this application?

Last edited:
thank you for the quick reply.

well, clipper is a 16 bit application, so the need for 64-bit xp mode in virtal mode.

my request is : SOMEONE HOLD MY HAND BY GUIDING ME STEP-BY-STEP ON HOW TO INSTALL THE XP MODE & THE VIRTUAL MODE.

i am trying to create a XP mode in win7-ultimate-32 bit to run my legacy 16-bit programs.

i have downloaded 4 files:

file 1: WINDOWSXPMODE_EN-US.EXE (492,597,008)
file 2: WINDOWS6.1-KB958559-X64-REFRESHPKG.MSU (17,091,624)
file 3: WINDOWS6.1-KB958559-X64.MSU (10,352,728)
file 4: WINDOWS6.1-KB958559-X86-REFRESHPKG.MSU (16,070,039)

(btw: i assume the files downloaded are ok for the xp mode in virtual pc)
(if not, where can i download the proper files - please give me links other than from microsoft)

in my win7-ultimate-32 bit system:
i clicked on WINDOWSXPMODE_EN-US.EXE file & finished the installation.
then, i clicked on WINDOWS6.1-KB958559-X86-REFRESHPKG.MSU file & finished the installation
i restarted the system
i clicked on start-all programs, but there was no Windows Virtual Pc folder
WHERE AM I GOING WRONG ? HAVE I CLICKED THE WRONG FILES.

Back
Top Bottom