Windows 7 XP Pro 32 bit -> Win 7 64 bit

koma

I have XP Pro 32 bit (non-OEM).

Can I use a Win 7 upgrade version to do a clean install of 64-bit Win 7?

XP Upgrade Path

You must have a copy of Windows XP on your computer to do a clean install of Windows 7. This is the upgrade path as you should make a partition and than install Windows 7 on that partition. Make sure the partition is at least 40 gigs as if you want to add programs and documents, pics, etc you will need the space. When you install Windows 7 use the custom install and create the partition using the free space on your hard drive. Remember do not use the space allocated to Windows XP and this will create a dual boot with XP and 7 allowing you to select either when booting.

The advantage of doing this is you can than transfer your personal items right from drive to drive. Remember that in doing this the Master Boot Record is going to be on the first Drive so if you decide to delete or uninstall one drive you will have to recreate the MBR or you will not be able to boot.

There are other ways posted on the internet but remember this if for some reason you get errors and have to transmit info to Microsoft for help you may be caught violating their EULA (License) and your copy of Windows 7 could than be invalidated.

You must have a copy of Windows XP on your computer to do a clean install of Windows 7.

I've done over 6 o 8 installs to a clean hard drive that never had any os. I have never had Win xp on any system. Ever.

I've even used the upgrade files and upgrade disks and did a clean install. It's all in my blogs. No other os is needed.

This is the upgrade path as you should make a partition and than install Windows 7 on that partition.

Very dangerous, Very risky. partitions are the number 1 cause of data loss. Just search this forum for partition problems. It takes very diligent attention and practice to mess around with partitions.

The advantage of doing this is you can than transfer your personal items right from drive to drive

If your data is important, back it up to a dvd, usb or another hard drive.

Remember that in doing this the Master Boot Record is going to be on the first Drive so if you decide to delete or uninstall one drive you will have to recreate the MBR or you will not be able to boot.

It doesn't need to be complicated. Just boot to the install disk and do a custom install AFTER you backup your personal data to other devices.

Okay, that sounds promising.

But what about 32/64 bits? Does the upgrade DVD allow me to install 64 bit Win7 even though my XP pro is 32?

Cool!

Are there different versions for the upgrade version of windows 7. I mean, are there separate 32 and 64 bit versions?

Cool!

Are there different versions for the upgrade version of windows 7. I mean, are there separate 32 and 64 bit versions?

Yes.. see my blog. About 4th from the last. Also includes French and German links.

Back
Top Bottom