Windows 7 XP Pro migration

JBendel

Since I can not "Upgrade" from XP Pro, will the XP to Vista version restrictions still apply?

When I went to ug to Vista I was told that I could not "upgrade" to a Home versions from a XP Pro version. Something to do with the media parts of Vista not existing in XP Pro. It was a real pain to convince the vendor to take an open copy of Vista Home Premium in exchange for the Vista Pro I've never installed.

Will I need a "qualifying" product to clean install to a new HD at all? If not, then my question is moot.

Thanks in advance.

John

There is no Vista Pro version, so what do you actually have, Business?

If you are talking about doing a double upgrade so you can keep your files, even if it would work, the resulting final install might be unstable and I would not do that. It would be better to buy a new hard drive, install you Vista on it, and use the other one to pull your old files from. But if you want to try, give you exact versions of your previous OSes and maybe someone will know if it is possible.

If you haven't run Vista on your computer, have you checked to see if it is compatible. One of the reasons folks did not accept Vista was because of problems with older hardware and software.

There is no Vista Pro version, so what do you actually have, Business?

If you are talking about doing a double upgrade so you can keep your files, even if it would work, the resulting final install might be unstable and I would not do that. It would be better to buy a new hard drive, install you Vista on it, and use the other one to pull your old files from. But if you want to try, give you exact versions of your previous OSes and maybe someone will know if it is possible.

If you haven't run Vista on your computer, have you checked to see if it is compatible. One of the reasons folks did not accept Vista was because of problems with older hardware and software.

Sorry if my post was confusing.

What I am trying to find out is there any restrictions on going from XP Pro to W7 HOME. There was, even with a completely clean install onto a new drive. Something to do with XP not having the media features of Vista Home Premium. This was caused by having to use my XP Pro as a Qualifying Product. It didn't qualify. Even though I was using a full version of Vista, not an upgrade. If this restriction still exists then I'll run XP Pro until 2014 and then go to whatever version of Mac OS is current.

Back
Top Bottom